Question about use of MSD 3bar map sensor...

werewolves182

is without a supra :(
Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
Ive got a MSD 3bar (1 down, 2 up) map sensor and was wondering if I could use it in place of my stock 1jz map sensor with stock injectors? Would I still need a SAFC and/or 440's or 550's to even out the air fuel?

Van Diesel

Powered by vino
Dec 12, 2006
El Paso, Texas
3 bar map on a 7M? Funny ... I thought 7M's were MAF sensors...not MAP sensors.

3 bar map on a standalone needs to be configured. You want to put a 3 bar map sensor on a STOCK ecu? The map sensor is just a voltage reading that goes up/down with absolute pressure. Your stock ECU has a conversion table that tells it when it is at X.XX VDC then it is at Y.YY psi pressure/vacuum and thus injects fuel into the motor according to where it is on the table. Now you want to add a map sensor that the ECU is not configured for? 2JZ to 1JZ is similar enough that it won't hurt.

Only one way to find out if it will work. And that's to do it. I just don't want to be the guy to do it.

Marotta1

Supreme Lurker
Well, theoretically, a 3bar MAP sensor, and 550s would just about even each other out. People do it all the time on 7Ms, why wouldn't it work on a 1JZ?

I'm curious. How are you figuring that the two would even each other out? What is your reasoning on that and how did you come to that conclusion? I know on a 7m using something like a Lexus meter flows about 25% more air and 550's flow about 25% more fuel so it works. I'm really fried right now so this is a valid question; I'm not trying to cut you down.