Question about sealing rear timing cover(with pics)

MaverickA70

desperate parts beggar
Sep 17, 2007
arkansas
I leak a little bit of oil from my timing case, and i've read in the tsrm that you are supposed to apply 'packing seal'(which i assume can be permatex 'the right stuff') to these 2 points on the timing case:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=55

I rebuilt my motor and i have all new seals up front, and i did not seal the timing cover up like the TSRM calls for..so this leads me to believe that this could be the leaking problem.

My question is, what exactly am i sealing up? i can not find any gaps like the ones shown in the tsrm. Can someone tell me what i'm missing here?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

p1501265_1.jpg

p1501265_2.jpg

p1501265_3.jpg

MaverickA70

desperate parts beggar
Sep 17, 2007
arkansas
I guess I made it out to be more complicated than it really is lol. Hopefully this will eliminate that pesky oil leak, thanks for the info!

MaverickA70

desperate parts beggar
Sep 17, 2007
arkansas
yeah its a composite with ARP studs, and it will be another one this time. Its just an engine to play with, i have a 2jzge that i'm building for an na-t swap. My 7m will probably never see over 300hp, it's there to keep me entertained and to set up megasquirt as i will be using 7m components on my 2j :naughty:

MaverickA70

desperate parts beggar
Sep 17, 2007
arkansas
I've had an issue with the cps leaking before and i've replaced the o-ring on it. It doesn't leak anymore, its possible that i didn't install one of the front seals properly. This was the first motor that i've ever built, so i've been paying for my mistakes since day one. It's a wonderful learning experience though :)

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I forgot that sealant also, but im MHG. Leaked about a quart a day.

Fixed it though, now its leaking somewhere else. I feel like im in a cartoon, Plugging up one leak with one finger and another one starts.