Question about a 1990 supra turbo for sale from yakima area....please help!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
If you go look at it, I'd do a compression test, leak down test and check under the oil fill cap for a mixture of oil and water.
You can also check the turbo for any excessive play. Check for codes while you're there also.

vmoua509

SpokaneSupras
Sep 17, 2007
Spokane, WA
www.cardomain.com
Dunckel;1533554 said:
I can go look at it for you if you like. I can take extra photos and even a video or two. Just let me know.

Anything would help!!! I really appreciate it! After talking with the guy some more, its N/A shell with a 7mgte swap w/ upgraded turbo and fmic . No p/s, a/c, and boost gauge and has a busted tail light! If you have time, i would really appreciate it if you checked it out before i finalized my decision on getting it. Let me know what you find out. I'd rather trust a Supramania member then just someone off craigslist! Thank you so much!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
RUN, don't walk away from this one, and find one in better shape. "The only bad thing with it is the tailight is broken."?????????????

It has no front lip
It has no radio
It has a mud flap secured to the side of it with screws
It appears near the rear wheel that it may have once been blue
It also appears that the driver's side spoiler side piece is broken
No Air filter at all
No mods under the hood, except hose color mods
No sensors on the thermostat housing
"TEMS still works fine" or "suspension mods" ? Which is it? Or did he just paint the shocks blue?
There are no pictures of this huge intercooler

Seriously, you could find a much better taken care of car in the classified section on supramania. Travel a little if you have to. You are going to keep whatever you buy for a little while. I personally wouldn't give half that price for that car.

vmoua509

SpokaneSupras
Sep 17, 2007
Spokane, WA
www.cardomain.com
ForcedTorque;1534400 said:
RUN, don't walk away from this one, and find one in better shape. "The only bad thing with it is the tailight is broken."?????????????

It has no front lip
It has no radio
It has a mud flap secured to the side of it with screws
It appears near the rear wheel that it may have once been blue
It also appears that the driver's side spoiler side piece is broken
No Air filter at all
No mods under the hood, except hose color mods
No sensors on the thermostat housing
"TEMS still works fine" or "suspension mods" ? Which is it? Or did he just paint the shocks blue?
There are no pictures of this huge intercooler

Seriously, you could find a much better taken care of car in the classified section on supramania. Travel a little if you have to. You are going to keep whatever you buy for a little while. I personally wouldn't give half that price for that car.

Thanks for the input. If i were to pay cash, I sure as heck will not give him $4500 for it! I paid $3200 for my mint 91 turbo that i am now having regrets on ever since i sold it! Then i bought a 90 turbo with rod knock and was unable to fund the project due to a pay cut and had to sell that too!

I already have a 89-92 front lip, i'm not worried about the stereo because i'll be putting a new one in anyway. Yes, i saw all of the things you pointed out too and i think the blue is just overspray from when the wheels were painted... i dont think they made blue mk3 supras with stock burgandy interior. I'm also wondering about the sensors on the t-housing...
After talking with the guy some more, its actually a N/A shell with a 7mgte with upgraded turbo and fmic. If you look at the picture from the front view you can see the intercooler. It also has no power steering or a/c. I was like WTF??? oh well, my kids dont ride in it so its going to be a daily driver for me. I could find one, but trying to find one that will trade is kinda hard! Unless you know someone that would pay me enough for my civic???

If you were me would you trade straight across for it? This is what i have http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2967056

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Dunckel;1534416 said:
I will give him a call, and see if I can look at it some time tomorrow or Sunday. I'll let you know.

Thanks! I sent you his contact info in your inbox. Thanks again!

Me[kk]A

Nov 16, 2009
Toronto
i miss me old ej coupe.

3888439988_25b6e42ee7_b.jpg

sorry guys.. infecting H virus here, just got a bit sentimental after seeing the OP's.

i doubt most supra owners that KNOW supras would straight trade for your honda regardless of how well kept she is. Which if i may say so myself looks darn well kept.

the reason most supra guys would say "no" is that its simply a different class of car.

im not sure what you car history is but have you ever considered boosting your B16? fun factor is really there, and on stock internals with a proper tune you can do 300whp all day. :D

one of my closest friends tunes hondas.. his B16 was originally built high compression NA and then boosted.. 285 whp daily for the past 3 yrs.

i apologize again for the honda marketing lol

the point im trying to make is a supra shouldnt be a rush buy.. or an emotional buy. just check out the tech section.. the headaches can be ginormous, so to add to what everyone else more knowledge above me is sayin is..

take your bloody time lol.. (i didnt.. my car has sat more than its been driven)

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

shame edit.. you are familiar with supras..

the gym destroys my reading ability

vmoua509

SpokaneSupras
Sep 17, 2007
Spokane, WA
www.cardomain.com
Thanks for the honda picture! I've had 3 civic coupes out of the 15+ imports i've owned and also 2 of them being an mk3 supra! True. They are in different classes.

Trust me, the thought of boost always crosses my mind! It would have to be a T66 or bigger! If i had the funds, i'd keep my civic, boost it and just buy a 89+ boosted supra and have the best of both worlds.... FWD and RWD!!!

Good advice on taking the time to find the right Supra! I think civics are a dime a dozen!!! Dont get me wrong i love both Supra's and civic's! Should have thought of that before my last supra purchased (90 turbo targa)! It had ripped up leather seats, spun a rod bearing, and qtr panel damage. (All can be seen on my cardomain sites). At least i only paid $100 for it and made it home then was parked for a year!

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I just looked at your Civic. Honestly, I wouldn't trade your quality Civic for that particular Supra from what I have seen. The fact that the seller doesn't know much at all about the Supra tells me that it is in disrepair, and he doesn't know how to fix it. He wants to trade it for anything but a Supra. If he doesn't like it, there must be some reason why. Yours looks quality and cared for, while his looks neither of those, plus the unknown. Dunckel is a well respected member here who's opinion should be trusted. He won't steer you wrong.

vmoua509

SpokaneSupras
Sep 17, 2007
Spokane, WA
www.cardomain.com
ForcedTorque;1534787 said:
I just looked at your Civic. Honestly, I wouldn't trade your quality Civic for that particular Supra from what I have seen. The fact that the seller doesn't know much at all about the Supra tells me that it is in disrepair, and he doesn't know how to fix it. He wants to trade it for anything but a Supra. If he doesn't like it, there must be some reason why. Yours looks quality and cared for, while his looks neither of those, plus the unknown. Dunckel is a well respected member here who's opinion should be trusted. He won't steer you wrong.

Thanks for the info. Right now i'm at a 50/50 on trading my civic. I've hat it for 3 years and pretty much built it to the way it sits now! I guess the seller doesnt know much about the value of a supra!!! He says he bought it already swapped with the 7mgte. And then did the interior part of it to what it is now. I'll wait to see what Dunckel says about it since he lives closer and can see it in person. I'll trust his word! Thanks!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I personally would let this one pass also. I've seen ones in better shape for less money. That's just my .02.

Plus, if you hold on a little while, my 89 will be going up for sale in a month or two.

vmoua509

SpokaneSupras
Sep 17, 2007
Spokane, WA
www.cardomain.com
CajunKenny;1535294 said:
I personally would let this one pass also. I've seen ones in better shape for less money. That's just my .02.

Plus, if you hold on a little while, my 89 will be going up for sale in a month or two.

Yeah. I'm thinking the same thing. The guy that bought my 91 was trying to sell it for $3200! He said he had a shop replace the headgasket on it too! If they went with toyota's spec than it still would need to be retorqued! Only thing i saw wrong with it was somebody backed into the driver qtr panel and he had it fixed but left it primered... oh well i guess.

I'll wait a few months and see what happens... let me know ahead of time when you're ready to sell the 89 and i'll list my civic for sale. Thanks!

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
dont forget he sprayed the dash black.... And judging by the fact that it seems the wheels were painted on the car... well you must see where im going with this. IDK car looks like a mess to me.

vmoua509

SpokaneSupras
Sep 17, 2007
Spokane, WA
www.cardomain.com
mickgarvey;1536745 said:
dont forget he sprayed the dash black.... And judging by the fact that it seems the wheels were painted on the car... well you must see where im going with this. IDK car looks like a mess to me.

Yeah... the dash and console and half of the door panels are painted black, the wheels and misc stuff in the engine bay are blue, and who knows what else, because thats all i can see in the pictures!!! Well, i'm thinkin about passing on this one...

I'll get a hold of the guy and see if he's willing to meet halfway so i can look at it...

Last edited:

vmoua509

SpokaneSupras
Sep 17, 2007
Spokane, WA
www.cardomain.com
The more and more i look at the pictures of that particular supra and the engine bay, the more things i find wrong or missing from it! Even the ABS has been taken out along with the canister on the firewall !!! On second thought, No, i'm not going to waste my time going to look at it. If someone wanted to gut it for a drag car, then thats a different story but i'm looking for a reliable daily driver! Even if it has been modified, as long as the factory options (like ABS, canister, PS, AC, etc. etc.) are still there and functional then that is fine!

Thanks for everyones input! I appreciate it!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
ABS was not standard, so it may not have been removed. You have to replace all of the brake lines to remove it. The charcoal canister should be there, but some people remove it illadvisably. But ya, another car would be in your best interest, especially at that price. That's a $1500-2000 car at best.