qestion on E85, and solving a problem with it?

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
I have read in many places that E85 is a phydrophilic (hydroscopic) liquid, so after running it for a long period of time. Some other experts say you are suppose to drain your fuel tank and clean it out. But could a simple solution be found in something as simple as a Fuel water seperator? Ive had to change those many of times on Big rigs using diesel, But could such a system work on a E85 base system as well? or would it just cause to many problems for the fuel pump?

What are you guy's ideas and thoughts on this?

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
There just isnt that much moisture that needs to be controlled in a car sized tank. It's not nearly as large of a problem as people on forums make it out to be.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
bloodasp90;1985743 said:
I have read in many places that E85 is a phydrophilic (hydroscopic) liquid, so after running it for a long period of time. Some other experts say you are suppose to drain your fuel tank and clean it out. But could a simple solution be found in something as simple as a Fuel water seperator? Ive had to change those many of times on Big rigs using diesel, But could such a system work on a E85 base system as well? or would it just cause to many problems for the fuel pump?

What are you guy's ideas and thoughts on this?

Driving and using the E85 isn't the issue, it's when it sits and has time to accumulate that water that it's an issue. There's many other issues with E85 though. Eats a lot of things, it's too "dry" and doesn't lubricate properly, E85 is not always 85% ethanol and it's not consistent enough to really tune correctly on, etc

Mr Bojangles;1985865 said:
There just isnt that much moisture that needs to be controlled in a car sized tank. It's not nearly as large of a problem as people on forums make it out to be.

Bzzz wrong. Water in the fuel system was an issue before they started adding ethanol to our gas, now it's even worse. E85 takes that to whole different level.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
Poodles;1985883 said:
Driving and using the E85 isn't the issue, it's when it sits and has time to accumulate that water that it's an issue.

This part is correct and it also requires temperature changes for condensation to form. If you're running E85 and you let your car sit all winter (4+ months) then you should probably drain the tank. I have a couple of friends that let their cars sit with half tanks of E85 all winter and they started and drove fine, but I wouldn't recommend that. Other than that it's not an issue.

Poodles;1985883 said:
There's many other issues with E85 though. Eats a lot of things, it's too "dry" and doesn't lubricate properly, it's not consistent enough to really tune correctly on, etc.
This is all incorrect. Hundreds of cars are tuned and run perfectly on E85. You should, however, regularly test your E85 with a 15 dollar tester from Summit and be aware of the changes from winter to summer blend as well as run a pump and filter that is E85 compatible.

Poodles;1985883 said:
Bzzz wrong. Water in the fuel system was an issue before they started adding ethanol to our gas, now it's even worse. E85 takes that to whole different level.
I don't know where you get your gas if water is always an issue, but you might want to switch stations.

Bottom line, if you let it sit for months then you might have condensation issues, just like you would with any fuel. Unless you’re stupid, E85 is simple to use. Whenever I see a bunch of E85 misinformation it comes from people that don't run it. Myself and MANY of my friends have been running it on all kinds of different makes and models for 5-6 years and nobody has ever had an issue related to its use. Well.....other than being able to run more boost thanks to a severe reduction in knock and intake air temperatures.

As for the OP's question, water/fuel separators aren't expensive and if you'd rather have one for peace of mind then sure, why not. But it's definitely no more necessary to run E85 than a flex fuel setup is.

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
Not trying to say anyone is wrong, but this kinda information, witch is two different ends is kinda of the orginal reason for asking.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
I've never used E85, and I'm just regurgitating what I've read but it make complete sense that if you use your tanks on at least a monthly biases it's nothing to worry about.

Now that being said, I would recommend the Zietronix E85 analyzer, so you always know whats going on for tunes. Finally, I don't think water will harm the engine other than rusting parts. Long as you don't have a balls to the wall tune and you also don't do something stupid like drive the car full boost after 1 year of sitting. Instead of draining I would probably just drive around town out of boost to burn off the fuel and fill completely full to dilute what's left in the tank and you should probably be ok.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Mr Bojangles;1985936 said:
This is all incorrect. Hundreds of cars are tuned and run perfectly on E85. You should, however, regularly test your E85 with a 15 dollar tester from Summit and be aware of the changes from winter to summer blend as well as run a pump and filter that is E85 compatible.

Orly? http://wpdev.injectordynamics.com/articles/everything-you-never-wanted-to-know-about-alcohol/

Try at least reading up on it. In this community people usually blame an engine failure or BHG on the age or that the engine is crap, the rest of the world knows E85 REQUIRES a flexfuel sensor and a tune that takes it into account or things go boom.

I don't know where you get your gas if water is always an issue, but you might want to switch stations.

Temp changes is not what's needed. Ethanol pulls moisture right out of the atmosphere. We're not talking about water condensing here.

Bottom line, if you let it sit for months then you might have condensation issues, just like you would with any fuel. Unless you’re stupid, E85 is simple to use. Whenever I see a bunch of E85 misinformation it comes from people that don't run it. Myself and MANY of my friends have been running it on all kinds of different makes and models for 5-6 years and nobody has ever had an issue related to its use. Well.....other than being able to run more boost thanks to a severe reduction in knock and intake air temperatures.

Anecdotal evidence is crap. I don't get my info from just this little portion of the world. It's not misinformation as E85 is made for flexfuel cars with a flexfuel sensor. Hence E85 is NOT truly E85, it's a specification of a max percentage of denatured alcohol, it's min requirement is 51% meaning if you're aggressively tuned, you're screwed. The only way to get true, consistent E85 is to buy race E85, and that's pointless as the entire point of E85 is getting cheap race gas.

As for the OP's question, water/fuel separators aren't expensive and if you'd rather have one for peace of mind then sure, why not. But it's definitely no more necessary to run E85 than a flex fuel setup is.

Water/fuel separators might work, but from what I've seen they have a tough time of it as it's a different issue than diesels have.