pulling the motor

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Ok guys maybe you can help me out here. Im in the middle of taking the motor out of my NA and Ive followed the FAQ to a T for the most part. I dont have any turbo parts but other than that Ive done everything the list calls for. Ive taken off the harness from the ecu and pulled it through the grommet, took off the ps and ac pumps, disconnected the two fuel lines, disconnected all the vac lines, took out the shift lever, disconnected the slave cylinder, unbolted the motor mounts, etc. But when my buddy and I hooked the motor up to the hoist and tried to pull it out, it seems like its hung up on something. Is there something that Im missing that would keep it from coming out? We get the motor to the point where the valve covers are hitting the firewall and are up off of the motor mounts but it seems like something is still hanging it up. I dont know what we can be missing, but the motor will come out about 6"-12" but it just wont come out. What could it possibly be that keeping it in the car? We even tried jacking up the rear of the car so that the rear tires are about 6" off the ground. My buddy is a mechanic in the motor pool at ft bragg so he definitely knows what he is doing. I just dont want to have to disconnect the motor from the tranny if I dont have to while pulling the motor. But at this point it seems like that is our only option. Help!

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Does your lift allow you to tilt the engine. Your gonna want to have it lean way back as your pulling it up. Even then sometimes the housing on the back of the trans will get caught and you have to push it down.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
yeah well we removed the tranny mounts, the crossmember under the oil pan and the exhaust, well the exhaust is still connected. One of the bolts on the 2nd section of the exhaust would not break loose, even after spraying wd40 on it and letting it sit we still broke two craftsman extensions on it. We did however disconnect the header from the head. Should we try unbolting the exhaust at the cat and yank it out? No we did not remove the driveshaft, according to JJs adlibs to the instructions in the FAQs we can remove the motor without detaching the DS. He says that the DS will just slide out of the tranny w/o a problem. Do you think that is whats keeping the motor in the car?

yeah we have a load leveler on the hoist we are using, we tried to push the tranny down while pulling it out and it still isnt coming out. Every time we try yanking it out we hear a clang, but couldnt tell where its coming from. We got the motor out to the point where the valve covers are hitting the firewall and we cant get it out any further than that. Even when the motor is lower in the car we cant point the tranny down but so much. Its not hitting the firewall, but we are definitely feeling some resistance

Last edited:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
You are gonna have to disconnect that driveshaft when you go back in anyway. Go ahead and pull it now. I pulled my motor in the 87 that I'm putting back to gether now, and I still need to disconnect the DS and re-install it. It does seem like i had to fight to get it out like that.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Do you mean a rubber exhaust hanger or an actual mount? We disconnected all the rubber hangers that seemed to be keeping the exhaust hooked to the tranny.

I didnt want to have to beg Jeff to help me, his house is almost an hr and a half away from my parents. And Im already borrowing his lift. I guess I might have to.

ok, my car is at my parents house an hr away and their internet service is shaky at best. Anything else I could be missing guys? The hoses to the heater core is also disconnected too. Hell i even bent the heater core connection on the right side of the motor trying to get the hose off.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
theres a ground wire on the transmission bellhousing if youve missed that. (Drivers side)

Theres also the previously mentioned exhaust mount on the passenger side. Its 2 bolts between the Downpipe and bellhousing, but if the exhaust is already out of the car then youve already got it.

Just take your time and when you get stuck look around and try to find the problem.