Pulling engine with hoist but head is already off

noredline

Yeah, I'd stands on that.
Sep 26, 2006
Chandler, AZ
So, long story short, car died, pulled head and a bunch of stuff out of the engine bay, have new engine on stand and I'm trying to get the damn thing out of there at 11PM at night. How would I even begin to pull this out when the head is already off of it (therefore can't hook up to the hangers). I already have it mostly separated from the tranny just need to disconnect motor mounts and a couple more bolts after. Just not sure where to hook hoist up to to lift it, any suggestions.

-Mike

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I've heard using old head bolts and some chain works well.... just be careful I guess.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
ive used head bolts. i also have an engine balancer though, so i 4 "L" brackets with bolt holes to run the head bolts through. its usually easier to pull 7m with head off- easier to get to bellhousing bolts

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
be careful if you use head bolts not to mark the deck. ive always used bolts on the side of the block when the head isnt on the engine.

noredline

Sep 26, 2006
Chandler, AZ
Ok it's 1:45AM right now where I'm at and we think we got all the bolts off and I have the hoist hooked up now, but I can not get the engine to seperate from the tranny, I have pulled every bolt I saw, and quite possibly going insane over this, figured I would post this here and see if I get a response before posting a new thread. Thanks all for the help.

Moved new post about seperating tranny and engine to here. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=779097#post779097

Last edited:

cactus_mole

Jan 3, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
you have to diconnect the clutch from the flywheel.....then it should just come out. oh and pull out the clutch fork too.

one time i used a set belt to get a engine out...:sarcasm:

noredline

Sep 26, 2006
Chandler, AZ
Thanks for the help everyone, got her out
sm_photo_missing.jpg

noredline

Sep 26, 2006
Chandler, AZ
Doward said:
No way in hell I would EVER pull a motor without replacing the rear main seal and clutch.

Looking at the $880 in my paypal account and realizing that I should be doing both those while I'm at this stage of my build, thanks for the suggestion...or browbeating..:p

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Doward: my last clutch wasn't that old... so I left it

bad move as it's only lasted 5K miles TOTAL since the idiot shop installed it.

rear main hasn't been touched on this motor though.. (I'm going to do a full build eventually..)

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
You know, i've pulled many motors out of many cars with a wide variety of ages amongst them with leaks. And with all the other leaks these engines have had, i've rarely seen the rear main actually be the source of the leak