Puff of Smoke if car sits for a while

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
BlackMKIII;1252308 said:
I had a friend with a 5S-FE Camry that would let out smoke for about 10-15 seconds after startup, then not another bit. It was (and likely always is) dried out valve stem seals.
Theres not a single damn 5sfe out there with good valve seals hahaha:cry:

thinhman

Feb 7, 2009
Garden Grove
well the car is located in santa barbara of california... I'm not exactly sure what kind of climate it is over there. So far it seems like its the valve stem seals; I will try what some of you people said like...letting it idle for 15 minutes then pulling on 1st gear.

I'm not sure if the jdm engine came with a turbo or not; I believe it doesn't because he said he is using the old turbo with it. The old engine blew a rod or something...so he ordered the jdm one. Other than that I do not know much about the work. Yeah he said he's had a valve job but I guess the seals weren't dealt with.

As for getting an na or turbo, I would defintely LOVE to get an na instead of turbo. It's just around where I live (orange county of CA), there are never any NA supras with targa tops. The closest na I have seen with a targa is in san francisco....(9 hours away).

Anyways, this guy is leaving out of town for a week or so; so I won't be able to check out the car till then. Anyone on here from santa barbara that would mind doing me a favor?! =]

I'll keep this thread posted as when I check out the car itself. I can't wait to buy my first mkIII.

7msupradude

Please wash your car!
Jan 31, 2007
Utah
From experience, every supra i have ever seen, owned, or heard of does this regardless of just about anything. It is likely valve seals, but it is common for all supras to have that issue. Not a huge deal.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Until you fix them (mine doesn't do it). 4 valves per cylinder means a lot of places to leak, and with BHG's that overheat the engine, ect they take an abnormal beating IMHO...