Project Equinsu Ocha

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
Also cleaned up the paint with 2 stage compound. The pictures don't do the paint any justice. I am very pleased at how well it turned out.
p1939035_1.jpg

p1939035_2.jpg

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
So I've been gathering parts for a complete suspension overhaul. I replaced my front upper and lower bushings with Energy Poly. Since I've never actually replaced bushings on any car I quickly learned this replacement was a SOB. Getting the lower fronts out was quite the task.

p1963262_1.jpg

p1963262_2.jpg

I also replaced the shocks with KYB GR2, and B&G springs.

p1963262_3.jpg

I also got ST sway bars.

p1963262_4.jpg

And here is the before and after suspension upgrade.
Before
p1963262_5.jpg

After

p1963262_6.jpg

Also put on a new set of tires, and still need to do the rear bushings that I hope will be a little easier then the fronts. I need to find a shop around here to do the rear press in bushing. I was thinking I could possibly put the rear spindles in the oven to expand the metal the the bushings in the freezer to shrink those but I'm afraid the heat would melt the new rubber, and the cold would possibly crack the hot cast metal. Ill figure it out though.

p1963262_7.jpg

Items I have relieved and still need
Mishimoto Efans
p1963262_8.jpg

LEX MAF
p1963262_9.jpg

Now all I need to do is get my injectors cleaned and flow tested and instal them with my fuel pump.

I bought some drilled and slotted rotors for front and rear Porterfield pads front and rear, with SS brake lines from a dude on here but he hasnt mailed them yet. I'm hoping to get those, and installed next week.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
The 'after' pic looks like the car sits lower in the back. You didnt get the front and rear springs mixed up, right?

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
I don't think so. I don't that that is possible only because the bottom of the springs inside diameter is different front and back. I mean I guess anything is possible. I just matched up front and rear with the stock and put them on.

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
Yes it is on a hill but it does sit an 1/8" lower in the rear. But I do think the driveway may exaggerate it. It has a good stance and I love the way it rides.

Last edited:

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
supraguy@aol;1963422 said:
Take a pic on a flat surface.
Ive never seen B&G springs sit lower in the rear.

My thoughts exactly. I've never seen lowering springs on an MKIII that sat the rear lower than the front...period.

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
It's been a while. I would first like to say I hope the people at photobucket catch a venereal disease.

While driving to work about three years ago, my car started running like crap. I looked in my rear view mirror and witnessed a massive cloud of smoke coming from my car. The engine started knocking and my throat seemed to get so big I couldn't manage to swallow. I was on the highway in desperate need of a safe place to pull over. I was successful in getting the engine shutdown almost immediately then I was able to coast off the highway in only about 1/4 mile. Once I came to a stop I popped hood only to find the entire engine bay completely covered in engine oil, but there wasn't any visible sign of a leak. I figured either I completely lost all six quarts of oil in a matter of seconds, or its dependent on the engine running, so I went back and fired it up. The rod knocking was the unmistakable, I immediately knew the engine was going to be nothing more then another paper weight. To my dismay I see oil grotesquely hemorrhaging from behind the timing cover. In only a matter of about three seconds there was no less than an entire quart of oil on the ground. There was no doubt in my mind now the 7MGTE number three was toast.

If you look close you can see the huge puddle of oil in front of the car after I pushed it back to get a photo.

I called the tow truck to come get me, and my work to notify them I was not going to make it in to work that day.

After I got my car home I, went straight to work and discovered the oil pump driveshaft retainer had failed. When retainer failed the driveshaft and pulley were forced into the rear timing cover, gouging out the webbing, eliminating the oil seal, and effectively pumping motor oil straight to the ground at the flow rate of a garden hose.

I was devastated to say the least. I enjoyed the hell out of this car I took impeccable care of it, and no matter what I did it seemed to continuously let me down. I know these cars can be unreliable but the is ridiculous. I parked the car in my garage debating my next move. Was I going to part it out, LS, 1jz or 2jz swap. I had no idea what to do. Then about a year later I pulled the trigger on a new engine. I found a JZA70 1jz for a smoking deal that I couldn't pass up.

It worked out that Steven and Albert were coming through Yuma after I received my engine so they stopped by my house and took my engine back to Phoenix. At the advice of Brad TE72 here on the forums he advised me to have the engine torn down and do a complete gasket overhaul. So Steven gave it the full treatment.

Once I got my fresh engine home I began to order more parts, and do a ton of homework on how to actually get this thing to run in my car. I have never done anything of this magnitude, but with the help of the forum, it wasn't really that bad. It took me forever because I was as meticulous as possible double and triple checking every move before I executed it. The hardest part of this swap was mustering up the testicular fortitude to dive in.

Now that I have the engine in it's new home I had to get started on some light fabrication.
I had to make a downpipe

The first time I bumped the ignition the car fired up without hesitation.
https://youtu.be/WpO1KufcPa4
Next I had to get the cooling system together, the intercooler and all charge piping, and what seemed like an endless gauntlet of odds and ends which brings us to current. This is a quick walk around video I made the other day.
https://youtu.be/z5lLxSw9Vsc

All I can say is wow!!!This 1jz is bad ass. It still isn't running perfect(as you can see in the video), but man is it sweet. I now understand why people say I wish I would have done this swap sooner.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Damn, that's a shame.
Another blown engine due to the oil pump retainer...
If it hasn't been mitigated yet, these 7M's will find the flaw to bite back.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Still can’t see your pics, Doon.
You have to pay the photobucket ransom fee, or start using another hosting site.