Project Equinsu Ocha

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
For those of you that don't know me my name is Chad. I have a 89 White Package Supra, that has mostly been a massive love hate relationship. I bought the car from a 70 year old man that absolutely babied the car and was the third owner, who bought it in 96. This was going to be my first Supra so I did a ton of research on them before purchasing the car. I found out the 7M was notorious for blown head gaskets and buyer be ware of this fact. The gentleman told me he had never had it done but the car ran fine with no sign of a BHG. With 120K on the clock i knew it was only a matter of time before the head gasket went. But the car was by far the cleanest I had ever seen, and I couldn't pass it up. I have every receipt for every oil change, every set of tires, you name it. I knew the life of the car and how it was treated.

I bought the car in Mesa, Arizona with the intention of when I got home to Lordsburg New Mexico I would do the head gasket. My massive desire to feel the turbo spool got the best of me and by the time I got back to Sun City Arizona(about 50 miles from where i bought the car) the head gasket had blown.

I had know idea who would be able to change it out for an affordable price I shopped around and found MJZ Performance. I had them do the head gasket for me, only to find out that because the prior owner didn't drive the car my head was pitted beyond repair. MJZ had a 7M at the shop so I just opted to have them put that together and get my car back to me.

So after about $10,000, 12K miles, and 6 months later and as my daily driver, commuter to and from Phoenix (as this was where my wife and daughter had live at the time) the engine was screwed. I had a blown head gasket, and what sounded like rod knock. Come to find out it was FOD (Foreign Object Debris) in the oil pan. So I had Steven Reedholm build my engine, and get my car running. My original plan was to aim high in the horse power range 800-900. I had purchased most of the parts but the plan had changed. I got a knew job in AZ and could not afford to not have my car any longer, nor could I continue to afford the bill to continue with my build. So I sold off most of the parts to the azsupracentral.com crew.

My new goal is to have a hella fun 400whp car that handles like it's on rails. Maybe in the future I will want more, but now that I live in Yuma there isn't a track, but there are the dunes so I'm goiong to end up buying another sand rail that is stupid fast. I just want a fun streetable clean car, with A/C.

This brings me to the current time. My car runs like a champ, here is a current list of mods, and I know I'm forgetting some.
CT26 60-1 (done by Albert)
Driftmotion soft line kit
BIC RDDP
DDP Back 4" Exhaust
Aeroturbine 4040 4" muffler(sounds amazing)
Intake
Aluminum Radiator
Silicone accordion hose
Silicone Heater hoses,
Clevite Mains Bearings
ARP Main Studs
Titan 2.0 Metal Head Gasket
ARP Head Bolts
NPR Pistons
Shimmed Aisin Oil Pump
Steven R Custom Oil Pump Soft Line Kit,
DM Light Weight Flywheel
Spec 6 Puck Clutch
Energy Polly Trans Mount
Blitz DD BOV
AEM UEGO Wideband
I can't remember the aftermarket boost gauge but it's there.

I'm quite certain I'm missing something but I can add to it later when I remember what I'm missing. On with the sex, I mean pics.

Here it is right after I had the exhaust a turbo done.

p1913116_1.jpg

Passenger side it's kind of funny but I actual was thinking about leaving the phone in the car. I did take it out. Talk about big pimpin, in the 90's right!
p1913116_2.jpg

Door Panel.

p1913116_3.jpg

Back seats.

p1913116_4.jpg

Driverside seat.
p1913116_5.jpg

Those are just a few of the pics I have. I also have a bunch of parts ready to go in at my house but I'm about 3000 miles away right now.

Parts I have:
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
Maft Pro
3" FMIC
Energy Polly Suspension Bushings(front and rear)
JZ Coils

Parts to get:
Sway bars
Coil Overs
End Links
Solid Subframe Spacers
550CC+ injectors
Wheels
Boost Controller

Thanks for checking out my thread!

Last edited:

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
Thanks bro. That's the biggest reasons I was able to look past the fact the HG wasn't taken care of. I want to do the front seats, and update to led dash. I never expected 2 engines within a year, nor did I have the means to do it myself. Ablert here on the forum, and steven816 have been more then awsome helping me out when I have had questions. I'm sure I have a hell of alot more were those came from to.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Looks like a nice car. I saw it for sale when I was looking for the last one I bought. I was always curious about the dash cover. Is it there to cover a cracked dash. Or was it put on to prevent a dash crack. Sorry you had so many engine issues. I guess it would not have made it back to Indiana. Maybe now you will get to drive it for a long time. 350 to 400 whp makes for a nice daily driver. Good luck.

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
super51fan;1913147 said:
Looks like a nice car. I saw it for sale when I was looking for the last one I bought. I was always curious about the dash cover. Is it there to cover a cracked dash. Or was it put on to prevent a dash crack. Sorry you had so many engine issues. I guess it would not have made it back to Indiana. Maybe now you will get to drive it for a long time. 350 to 400 whp makes for a nice daily driver. Good luck.

No dude the dash looks just as good as the rest of the car. I bought it back in March 2010, and thanks for your condolences. But I think if I have to go threw another engine I'm going to end up with a 2JZGTE. I love my 7m but I just want fun reliable power. I don't think I will have much issues but, then again it is a 24 year old car!

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
So small update no real progress of getting parts on my car yet, but I do have new parts to go. The other day I got home from work and heard a hissing noise, I opens my hood and found the 90* coolant bypass line that's right above the lower radiator hose pissing out coolant. So I went to the dealership to see if possibly they had it and they didn't, but they did have one that I was able to cut and make it work until the right one comes in. The line I put on will probably hold just as good but I just like the insurance of know for a fact I have the right one on there for the upcoming AZ Sumer. I decided that I would order new upper and lower radiator hoses while I was at it. I opted for the HPS silicone hoses from DM. Once they bypass hose comes in I will be installing all the new hoses, with Toyota red coolant.
p1930459_1.jpg

I Also got my 550cc injectors, with clips and new o-rings. I did buy them used however so before I can put them in I will need to get them cleans and flow tested.
p1930459_2.jpg

I got my electronic boost controller. I opted for the turbosmart ezstreet because turbosmart has always been known for make awesome turbo components.
p1930459_3.jpg

I got my AIT bung welded on my I intercooler.
p1930459_4.jpg

p1930459_5.jpg

Before I can even begins to consider putting any of this on I'm going to make sure my cars cooling system is up to par. Everything should be fine because I have replaced my radiator, and all the cooling lines with silicone if I could find them.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
awesome start, too bad about your luck, I heard that happening to a lot of people. Glad I got a 1jz, I wouldn't trust any of the shops around my town to rebuild my 7m properly. Bet you it was for the best though if you would of put all those parts into that supra and needed money you probably would of sold the whole thing and had to of started over entirely and probably wouldnt of had as clean of a car.

SPOOLINLUST

Feb 24, 2011
nnj
The name grabbed me, white Devil haha, I feel your pain with the engine, I have stayed the course and am having second thoughts for my power goals vs. what I have spent! I Shoulda went 2j!! Good luck and the car is in great shape!

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
Live and learn, the past is in the past, and the guy that screwed me over is out of business. I need to find a cheap daily driver so I can get my maft pro, and intercooler installed not worrying about trying to tune and install it all in a weekend. The good news is I drove it to work yesterday and I don't have coolant in the oil nor is it burning coolant. I was super worried I was going to be working on engine number four.

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
so i had a pretty eventful week. First of all I got all my coolant lines replace with Toyota red distilled water, and a bottle of water wetter.

While I was at it I decided tp polish up my thermostat housing.

I got a new windshield, windshield cowl, and some 20% tints.

I really didn't like having my boost gauge and wideband on my pillar. The pillar pod didn't fit for crap, and I didn't like how it seemed in my way all the time. So moved the wideband to the cigarette lighter location, and moved my cigarette lighter to the center console. It turned out pretty nice.

I installed my boost controller so I wouldn't be needing my boost gauge anymore.

I had a leak coming from my turbo drain so I went and baught some Earl's fitting and line and installed it all.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
I've been looking for a good spot for my AEM wideband... with no luck until today! I think I will just delete my cig lighter though, if you're smoking in my car you're walking...

Looking good man! Loving the tint too!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I agree, but I sometimes need the cigarette lighter to charge my phone, so...
I like the new location for the cig lighter, Doon.

YotaCrawler

Nov 17, 2012
Yuma AZ
dude..... swear to jeebus that I saw you coming out of the circle K on 24th and arizona today (monday may 6) around noon..... as soon as I read that you're in Yuma, and you have an 89 white package, something clicked. I pulled up next to you in my 89 white package with black motegi's.

if that was you, PM me brother, i'm here until late july.

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
Ya the whole cigarette lighter is not what I use it for. I really like it in that location, because I use it to recharge my phone, and I bought a cheap cordless FM transmitter that stays in my center console. Now I don't have any wires coming from my dash or my sterio, my phone is charging and I have tunes, and it's super clean. I hate clutter. thanks for for the compliments.

Yotacrawler yes sir that was me. Your the only other white Supra I've seen here.

YotaCrawler

Nov 17, 2012
Yuma AZ
you're the only other SUPRA I've seen here, with the exception of one that was sitting and being neglected on base for a while. you seem to be well versed with the cars, I'd love to get pointers and whatnot sometime. don't worry, I'm not a serial killer, baby rapist, Canadian, or anything weird like that.

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
That's to bad to hear there is a supra on base getting neglected. There is a jacked up blue one running around to. Send me a PM with your info we can get together. I'm not very well versed I just read alot! lol

YotaCrawler

Nov 17, 2012
Yuma AZ
I'll end my off-topic thread jack now, but he sold it about 2 months ago for ~1800, all it needed was a drain plug and pressure pipe from the turbo (his words not mine)

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
So I pulled the trigger on the Mishimoto efans from driftmotin today. Quite few people on here are saying they work awesome but they're a little loud which I don't mind.

I have been pondering getting one of these just to keep the instal simple. A little feedback would be super nice. http://m.summitracin...arts/sum-890014

Last edited: