Project: Do it yourself nextime

sc3gte

Mar 17, 2013
Washington
About a year ago I bought a 97 sc300 with a gte swap, what I was told was a turbonetics t66 (later found out it was just a 66mm turbonetics) and an auto transmission, The swap looked clean and the car drove quite well short of the 115mph limiter and the occasional boost cut when I wasn't watching my foot.

It was running on stock ecu, but my wideband read all the correct numbers at all the right places so I wasn't too worried about it. I wanted to get more out of the car so I bought Map ECU 3 (because I was cheap at the time) I had installed it and started tuning it, but for daily driving I would disconnect it and continue on stock tune.

Right at about that time my wideband readings started going crazy. Anytime I was in boost it would immediately go lean compared to the typical 11.2 I was seeing at WOT a few weeks before. I started to troubleshoot it and found all sorts of things wrong with it, fuel filter was in bad shape (gas running through it looked like coffee with creamer) so I replaced that, replaced my O2 (although I don't really know why) I ran a compression test which came out fairly inconclusive and finally decided to take it to a local shop and have them diagnose my problem, He sent me an email with compression and leakdown test results that looked something like this: Comp test; Cyl 1: 200#. Cyl 2: 200#. Cyl 3: 185#. Cyl 4: 195#. Cyl 5: 200#. Cyl 6: 150#.

Leakdown test; Cyl 1: 11%. Cyl 2: 13%. Cyl 3: 60%. Cyl 4: 15%. Cyl 5: 8%. Cyl 6: 55%. At first I was told it was bottom end damage, but then upon further investigation I was told that it was a headgasket due to bubbling in the coolant reservoir during the leakdown test. When I bought the car I was told that the swapped engine had 35k miles on it. I didn't really believe this but I bought the car anyways.

I decided to pull the head off and replace the gasket and see if that did anything. Basically I pulled the cams out and found a large amount of scoring on a bearing on the intake cam. S**T!!! This car is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth! But it's a labor of love (and hate) I guess. The head is currently being rebuilt with 1mm oversized valves and getting a port and polish.

I will let you know that this is my first turbo car and I am not the most experienced with diagnosing anything. I guess the moral of the long winded intro is next time I am just gonna do the swap myself, during the tear down I have found a lot of port quality work from the previous owner, but with the help of my brother; Pyro15d, I am determined to rebuild this thing the right way.

I will also add that so far I am unsure of whether I am actually going to do a full rebuild or just clean everything up and reinstall it in a more organized and less rushed manner than before.

sc3gte

Mar 17, 2013
Washington
Yeah, I confused myself while writing that, guess I didn't think it was going to go that long. Is there anything I should look out for during the rebuild?
By the way I bought an s366 for it so hopefully I'll getearlier spool out of the beast

sc3gte

Mar 17, 2013
Washington
Posts have been and probably will continue to be a little slow, I'm checking into a new command and don't have as much time as I'd like to work on the car.
I guess I forgot to mention this above; longterm goals for the Lexus 600hp, 264 cams (still not sure on what brand to go with) I'd like to also do a quicksilver manifold with a qsv but don't know if it's worth it, and I'm looking at doing an r154 swap. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
By the way, my new turbo just arrived, assuming the picture posts from my cellphone you will see it with my old turbonetics 66mm.
New turbo is a BW S366 .91ar. Can't get the picture to post unfortunately.

sc3gte

Mar 17, 2013
Washington
alliz;1934134 said:
Aww, if you were in closer to Oak Harbor I'd offer to lend a hand if needed.

Haha, funny thing is the car is in oak harbor at my brother's house, we'll probably be working on it this weekend if ya want to stop by