Project "Across The U S Of A"

Well, I'd like to say that I've had a Few Supra's and.....worked on a bunch. LOL
Me buying a supra is nothing new, but me buying one on the other side of the United States is. I lived in Dothan, Alabama my whole life and I moved to Telluride Colorado. I'm up visiting my aunt In Lakeview, Oregon(BFE) and I come across a Craigslist add In Bend Oregon. SO I traveled up to bend and i bought a 86.5 Hardtop NA Supra With TEMS. Not sure if it's a LSD. And I drove it back with NO issues(About 170 miles one way). The car has 125,000 miles on it and Everything is original and works, except for the Power steering....it comes on and off as it pleases....The passenger door was Damaged and replaced by previous onwer....Window Switch Doesn't work....And I guess a Custom Aftermarket Sunroof that slightly leaks(I figure aftermarket because i thought 91-92's got the sunroofs from factory)....LOL....
I am going to drive back to Colorado in a month or so, then back across country to Alabama. AND on top of things, I have a tight Budget....YAY :aigo: It needs some TLC(Mostly Cleaning) and more pictures to come.

To Help Fund Me, I received a Super Clean stock 86.5-88 Wing, the same Stock Silver color, when i purchased the car. Someone should buy the wing...... :p

NOW, time for Goals.

New Head Gasket With Set Of ARP's
Full Top End Rebuild / Seals
New Water Pump
New Radiator
New Tie Rod Ends
All New Coolant And Vacuum Hoses
Work On Getting Power Steering Pump Working Correctly Or Replaced
New Power Steering Hoses
Oil Catch Can(I Know It's Not A Turbo, But The N/A Throttle Body's Get Oil Build Up As Well)
New Battery and Air Filter

NOW, Time For Pics :D

p1714152_1.jpg

p1714152_2.jpg

p1714152_3.jpg

p1714152_4.jpg

p1714152_5.jpg

p1714152_6.jpg

Another Thing That Was Odd About The Whole Car Was The Dip Stick Location.
All my Supras had it back towards the back of the motor....This one has it under the distributor and the normal spot looked to be blocked off or non existent....

p1714152_7.jpg

p1714152_8.jpg

Thanks again for reading :]

Update Time! :D

Well, my TopLine Head Rebuild/Gasket Kit came in, so i figured it was a good time to update. I've used TopLine on all my stock rebuilds and they work Great. I spent 125$ on it, after shipping, and received it in 3 days. I started cleaning the valves with some diesel fuel and a medium brass wire brush. Man those exhaust valves were Caked on. Never seen it that bad before. Noticed the valves weren't closing all the way due to the build up on the valves and the valve seat. Cleaned em up and Shazaam! Nice and tight. ;] Noticed about 4 valve seals were toast as well, so replacing all of them just in case. Looks like the head gasket had been replaced before, but the bolts were on pretty loose, so 85 Ft/lbs with a tapped and cleaned bolt hole will work out nice. :D
First supra i've ever had that had 0% rust in the water jackets. I'd like to keep it that way....LOL.....Got a complete hose kit on the way, new brake pads, new radiator, Tie rods, oil catch can, water pump, and new power steering hose on the way from DriftMotion. :D

Picture time

TopLine Complete Head Gasket Kit
p1716367_1.jpg

Getting ready to remove head
p1716367_2.jpg

Head Gasket
p1716367_3.jpg

p1716367_4.jpg

p1716367_5.jpg

After removing head
p1716367_6.jpg

Head before valve spring removal
p1716367_7.jpg

After spring and valve removal

p1716367_8.jpg

p1716367_9.jpg

p1716367_10.jpg

Soaking the valves

p1716367_11.jpg

Top end removed and organized
p1716367_12.jpg

Cleaned the dash and window. Turned out better than i thought. This is the only nice thing about the interior. LOL

p1716367_13.jpg

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
What are your goals for the car? Looks like you have the right attitude about it, making it realiable before planning on horsepower...btw, if its an LSD, it will say "LSD oil only" on the back of the differential.

Good luck,
Brandon

I don't wanna turbo it or anything. I just want it to work, and work damn good with no maintenance until i get home in Alabama at the end of the year. Basically, a daily that gets decent gas mileage and can make it up the dallas divide in Colorado without going 30 MPH up the steepest part. ;]

I remember about the LSD sticker, but i didn't really see one. I figure it could have peeled off. I remember there is a code on the identification plate in the engine bay that lets you know. Plus it has headlamp washers and TEMS, so i figured if they got that, they might have gotten the LSD as an option as well. But who knows....LOL Gotta go search. BRB ;]

Ps: A trip from Montrose, Co to Telluride, Co varies by about 3200 Feet. Most 4 cylinder cars have trouble getting up it unless they are pretty new. LOL

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Congrats on that, which one? Probably the 4.30 huh? Thats the one Im using but I just bought the 3.91 LSD to try to keep the tires from spinning as much.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
The 4.30 LSD is a great option for the N/A. Gives it some balls that the 7MGE lacks, lol. But if you ever decide to swap to the 7MGTE, think about changing diffs. I have to go through all five gears at the track, and its rough. The 4.30 is much too tall once you start making power. If I had an auto, I would probably keep it, but the manual doesnt build much boost in 1st gear since there isnt much of a load on the motor. Anyway, sounds like you got great plans for your supra and I wish you the best of luck in your build!!

Brandon

Time for an Update! :D

Because so much has happened in the last few days, this paragraph below, will be typed as an "ADD 2nd grader hopped up on pixie sticks and koolaid" would speak when asked about his day....So Deal With It... :p

Got all my goodies in from Driftmotion and worked on the car all weekend and afternoon. Cleaned all the valves with water and installed the new valve seals. Cleaned the head and block, installed the Head Gasket, ETC. Had a few hangups, because i shattered...yes shattered....the crankcase to valve cover hose...and didn't have time to order another one.(Please note that I'm out in the middle of NOWHERE....and that pipe is Expensive for what it really is......) LOL...Half of the pipe was fine, but the upper was brittle and cracked....so i cut the hose in half and i added a 90Degree AN fitting and piece of hydraulic hose i had laying around...Yep...It works great and you can't even see it. SUCK IT, Expensive hose ;] Fixed the leaky roof, turns out all that was leaking was the drain hose that runs out the side of the unit down the pillar to the ground. Re-Siliconed it up and the rest is history. I did find a giant hole in the exhaust near the rear.... blowing onto the wheel and brake line..... gotta fix that Pronto...glad there is no damage. Oil catch can is installed. We'll see how it works ;] It is Nice and worth the price from Driftmotion. The hose that comes with it isn't that long and is Really weak, and the bracket is not that universal...This Is DEFINITELY not Made for a Turbo with ABS...I'd hate my life while trying to find a spot to place it with that bracket...LOL....Luckily this is not a turbo and a non ABS ;]

Next on my list is install the brake pads and replace the oil drain plug gasket....which is leaking....damn gasket...But other than that it runs great and hasn't leaked once. YAY :D

Let the pictures Commence!

p1721440_1.jpg

p1721440_2.jpg

p1721440_3.jpg

p1721440_4.jpg

p1721440_5.jpg

p1721440_6.jpg

p1721440_7.jpg

p1721440_8.jpg

p1721440_9.jpg

p1721440_10.jpg

p1721440_11.jpg

p1721440_12.jpg

p1721440_13.jpg

p1721440_14.jpg

p1721440_15.jpg

p1721440_16.jpg

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Lookin good! If I am not mistaken, Cressida 7mge's had the dipstick in the front location instead of the middle, though I didn't think it would even work with a mid sump pan.. not to mention you have a supra 7mge intake manifold, pretty weird.

CyFi6;1721444 said:
Lookin good! If I am not mistaken, Cressida 7mge's had the dipstick in the front location instead of the middle, though I didn't think it would even work with a mid sump pan.. not to mention you have a supra 7mge intake manifold, pretty weird.
Indeed. I figured since it was the first year, it could have been different than other years. What i do know, Is the head gasket HAD been replaced. Though it was about to be toast because of incorrect torque specs. LOL Another weird thing, was the CRANK pulley. It looked WAY different than my previous ones. It had some weird addition in the middle that none of my others had. Looked like this.

Toyota-Supra-Cressida-Crank-Pulley-Harmonic-Balancer-7M-for-sale_120668829077.jpg

bioskyline;1721445 said:
side rod assy??? whats that?
LOL, Brokem Engrish, AKA Tie Rods :D

the oil stick may not be reading right....because when i did my oil change, i put in 5 quarts. Ran it some, let it sit, checked, and it was at the Add section.....Hrm...LOL.......I put in another quart and it was at full.....I got a Mutt of a car....LOL

Though i will say EVERYTHING works, even the ACIS(None of my supras had a working system...) except the front right foglight and the low fan speed for heat \ A/C

If it gets me across the states, money well worth spent ;]

SupraDreamPDR;1721540 said:
I enjoyed reading your thread. Nicely done on your Supra.
Thank you very much. I hope you did. ;]
bioskyline;1721681 said:
ahhhhh tie rods.... gottcha!
Yep. At first i was like, WTF is that...

Fixed my small oil leak around the oil drain plug. Put New windshield wipers and the New Brake Pads on....WOW...the difference!!!!! :D

Now, the only thing I'm really missing is a stock Toyota supra jack(which is about the only stock jack i actually like) and a spare tire(Steel/Sawblade Rim and All). (If anyone is in Reno, I'd be willing to pick it up and pay some cash) ;]

Well, i left from Oregon On Saturday morning to head back to Telluride. Made sure everything was good and headed off. I have a power steering leak on the High Pressure hose, which i hear is common and is a cheap replacement, but time was an issue, so it had to leak ;] I went through most of the High Desert and some crazy back roads, which i almost died on in one part, but thanks to the lsd, i didn't under steer off a 1000 Ft Cliff... LOL Spent the night in Salt Lake City, which was nice and not to busy, after i got up on Sunday. It never over heated, but got a little warmer than usual, when i was climbing in altitude. So i took off my front license plate and it bumped down a notch or two. I noticed the a/c condenser was all clogged up as well, with bugs and dirt....so i'll try to clean it out with a pressure washer. :] But nothing blew up and I'm a happy man. Took some Shitty camera phone pictures of random stuff, so ENJOY! :D

Mostly Oregon High Desert.
p1726246_1.jpg

p1726246_2.jpg

p1726246_3.jpg

If you save this picture and zoom in on the road, it goes on for like 60 miles...Straight as FUKC and i was hauling arse....No 5.0 in sight ;]
p1726246_4.jpg

Utah, and some Bomb Ass Wind Turbines....Never seen those in person before... :]
p1726246_5.jpg

p1726246_6.jpg

p1726246_7.jpg

Right across the boarder from utah, into Colorado. This was shortly after i almost died, LOL
p1726246_8.jpg

Well, the sunroof glass clips broke while i was driving down the highway. The good thing is, i can replace the glass and get some new clips. The bad thing is, the glass flew off and shattered into a million Pieces....It's an aftermarket sunroof and the only identification was on the glass, but there was one code that i got off the sunroof itself and it was "1.5-001953" ....thats it....i can't find anything... :C