problems with rattling in the doors with new speakers

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My doors rattle too. It's the hardware inside that's rattling on mine (rods for latch mechanism). You need to wrap them in some sound deadening, or at the very least, some duct tape.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
beachsupra;1087602 said:
i have 2 51/4 infinitys that i just installed in the doors with 6 inch speaker pods extremly ghetto.and when i turn up the bass at all the whole door starts to rattle and sound like shit .does anyone else with 5 1/4 or 6 in speakers have this problem with bass.

does anyone know what car other than a supra that has 5 1/4 speaker pods so i can get some bolt ons for my speakers ? if there is i can go to the local junk yard and pull some.

the yard has 2 supras the last time i went but where stripped down to nothing i wanted.

can't understand why...... :nono:

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
TomFraser;1089675 said:
or get some subs, and crossovers so you can make the bass come from subs, and highs come from speakers

It doesn't matter where the sound is coming from. At a certain volume level, it's going to start vibrating things.

And what's your definition of highs? I cross my fronts at 60hz. That's still plenty of shaking potential at that frequency.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Hey I had that problem when I replaced the speakers in the door with some exact type replacement panasonic speakers. I took the whole door panel off and did all the work I needed to do including the alarm system switch but I had taken the foam stuff off that goes around the speaker cause after 20 yrs it was all disgusting. Well turns out that foam stuff AND the circle have to be put in.

So as I remember its the speaker screwed into place, then some circle thing the diameter of the speaker and you have to put some foamy stuff there - I used some weather stripping I had lying around. Otherwise it rattles and especially sounds like shiat when you close the door.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Rolls of foam weather strip are the speaker installers best friend. :)

RTV works too, but it's more of a permanent fix.. and can be messy if you do not wait for it to cure before you move the panel around.

I used Silicone/RTV to seal up my sub box, then packed it with pillow stuffing to kill standing waves, and make the small sealed box act more like a larger one by slowing down the sound waves through the packing. (There is nearly a full king sized pillow case stuffing in my sealed sub.. and it works GREAT.)

On the doors, I used 4" Diamond seperates, and mounted the tweeters up in the door panels. To fit the larger/deeper than stock mids, the plastic boxes had to be trimmed with a high speed grinder, and if your careful, they do not rattle. The speakers were then given a ring of foam around each at the point where they seal up to the box, and checked for any air leaks or gaps. I then sealed them up around the edges with RTV, and let it cure overnight before putting the boxes back into the doors. I also upgraded the wires, and sealed up where they pass into the boxes too.

To make the stock small front door boxes seem larger, they were packed with pillow stuffing too. To make sure the magnet does not make noise, I ran a few strips of foam across the back, where they pushed up against the plastic stock box, and where I had to cut down the box to make them fit, and potentially made the box weaker as very little of the plastic ribs was left where the speaker magnet goes.

Works really well. During heavy bass, and wearing shorts, I can feel the air ports moving air at my legs, at first I thought it was a bug crawling on me.. :) LOL

No rattles from the interior of the door.