Problems w/ playing videos

marcbeatty

Apr 1, 2005
Small town, IN
I am having problems playing many of the videos that are posted on smvideos.com. I went to the site and tried to play some of the videos in windows media viewer, but i keep getting the same error. I have windows xp and am using wmv 10. any help would be appreciated.

Milenko

Mar 31, 2005
Mifflinville, PA
Something seems to be happening to random files when they are uploaded. The filesizes are exactly the same as the originals, but for some reason they won't place correctly in windows media player.

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is right now.

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
Milenko, I guess you are keeping track of the OS and browser used to upload every file? maybe there's a correlation...?

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
I think I got something for you, Milenko...
the problem seems to occur during downloading, I just downloaded 5 more files, and 2 of them didn't work. a look into the contents of those files revealed that they both have a

<br /><b>Notice</b>: Undefined offset: 1 in <b>C:\Inetpub\Www_root\smfiles\index.php</b> on line <b>13</b><br />

plus carriage return at the beginning :p

Milenko

Mar 31, 2005
Mifflinville, PA
Yep, just discovered that myself. Turns out there was a blank line in the file that keeps track of the filename-fileid correlation. That was throwing that error in the file stream.

Any file listed after that carriage return had that junk in the file header. It seems that mpgs don't care about stuff like that because they played file. It was the windows media and avi files that were throwing fits.

Thanks for taking the time to look into it. I wish I would have noticed that about two hours ago though, would have saved me some time. :)

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Im having trouble viewing AVI vids... I either get nothing or I get sound only... Do I need a codec of some sort? How/where can I find it?

Thanks,Jake

suprarcr89

The Juggernaut has my old
i tried some videos about 3 days ago from smvideos and if the file is 41mb it will only download about 9mb and stop does that with all the videos.. will not download whole video...just a small portion... dont know if its just me or everyone having problems.. thanks

-Ken