problems upon start up

lesky33

Nov 26, 2006
ohio
Within the last 2 weeks my 89 supra hasn't wanted to start right up in the morning. it cranks and cranks and blows white smoke and then it usually starts. today it did that but i had to take the intake pipe off of it. i checked the filter and it wasn't clogged up. so i started the car then i noticed there was no oil pressure. so i checked and oil level on dipstick was a little low so i added oil. drove the car it ran fine even though the gauge says no oil pressure.if i'm wrong no oil pressure the car wouldn't run? i blew a head gasket 5-6 years back when i over reved the car but everything was machined and replaced with better(arp headstuds, je pistons, rods,mls head gasket) and theres no coolent in the oil. i did unplug and few rubber hoses/lines while taking the intake pipe off but i put them back on. ive never had any problems with the car untill now. Anyone got any ideas what could be wrong?

Greyscorpion

Feb 5, 2011
Washington
The wire going to oil pressure gauge could be disconnected so look to see if there are any wires loose or disconnected and for your white smoke when was the last time you did a tune up some fouled plugs will give you a hesitant start.

lesky33

Nov 26, 2006
ohio
fouled plugs may be causing the hesitant start thats a good start. i didnt think of that.wires are newer and changed the oil not so long ago. the oil pressure gauge worked perfect till i took off the intake pipe and i checked and looked for all the wires to see if anything was loose or disconnected and that seemed to appear ok. not many wires or hoses on the intake pipe.

SRZMK3

the wire to the oil pressure gauge is really close to the intake piping, the wires on that side of the engine are very prone be getting brittle and cracking since they dont get much accidental oil spilled on them to soak up and stay flexible.

JSeaman

SM Official Expert: Guide Author
SM Expert
May 26, 2009
Derbyshire, UK
Excessive cranking may be due to fuel pressure building back up, poor plugs/leads, timing being out etc. I would pop all 6 plugs out and have a look at them for a start. The oil pressure is almost certainly the wire to the sender - it is on the block (exhaust side) behind and below where the back of the thermostat housing is, these is a single wire with a spade clip type of fitment this will have come off or be damaged and is a nice easy fix

White smoke coming out is water, either because the engine is cold or because coolant is getting in there (let's assume it isn't that for now as you mentioned no loss of coolant).

Start with the plugs, that will let you know if they are oily (cam cover gaskets), white (lean), old (just needs a service) etc. Check your ignition timing while you're at it too