Problem with arp studs

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
Hi!
I just instaling a new ARP studs kit but I can not fit the nuts.
I need to install the nuts with the washers before sit the head on ?? because with the studs installed first in the block then the nut won`t go inside , no space .
anyone have the same problem??
how to do it correctly?

regards

Amtrack

Apr 5, 2006
Germany
Did you remove the camshafts?
With removed shafts there is enough space to get the nuts and washers in place.

But its a little bit tricky to tighten it, because there is really not much space for the tools.
I have grinded a bit off of the tool for better fitment.

EDIT: have you tightened the studs?
Or just screwed it a few turns in?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Threads need to be chased and cleaned. Studs only need to be hand tight.

And cams might have to be pulled.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i just ran into the same problem. i ended up grinding away some of the casting on the head. there was no way that i could get a socket on the bolts, even after i made it a thin wall socket. lol

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I used a 12point Kobalt deep socket from Lowes, and it worked. With camshafts removed I didn't have to do any grinding to the washers, nuts, or cylinder head. It was straight foward for me.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
Suprapowaz!(2);1968575 said:
I used a 12point Kobalt deep socket from Lowes, and it worked. With camshafts removed I didn't have to do any grinding to the washers, nuts, or cylinder head. It was straight foward for me.

Found the same. Kobalt and Snap-on both.

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
I am building a new engine so no cams instaled yet
yes the threads was really well cleaned and I also tigtened the studs to the end with the allen key to see if it give me room but nopp! not possible to screw the nuts with the head on, maybe because I have the block and head to mutch milled??
I am using a wiseco MHG 1.3 mm to get 9:1 of CR after made some mods on the combustion chambers and the block piston deck claerance is 0 with the wiseco 9:1- 83,5 mm pistons.
so if nobody have problems with the nuts is a problem with my engine only, ok the solution will be to reduce the studs lengt a little yes??

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
yratyrah.jpg

Just get one of these 14mm sk sockets... Fits perfectly like it was made for it ;-)
usyjavu9.jpg

Last edited: