Problem removing crank pulley & clutch fan

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
ok, so i am in the process of removing my 7MTGE to rebuild it and replace the BHG. i already got directions from this site, but there are still a few problems arising for me.
i cant seem to get the crank pulley loose. i didnt try removing it by cranking over the car, as i had already started the dis-assembly by the time i found detailed instructions on here. i have a big breaker bar, so can i just put the 19mm socket on there and just push untill it comes loose? cause right now all it is doing is spining.... do i just need to keep pushing?
also, i need to remove the fan, as per those instructions, there are those 4 12mm bolts... but when i try and remove them, the fan and its pulley just turn. how can i get these off? if i cant figure it out, couldnt i just remove the water pump and fan as a whole?
thanks for the help.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
You need to stop the engine from spinning. This can be very tricky and it depends totally on how your engine is suspended.

For the fan, you can either remove the water pump and fan as a whole unit. Or you could put two 12mm wrenchs on using one to counteract the loosening force of the other. When you get to the last one, put a closed end wrench on one of the loose nuts angled so that when you try to loosen the tight nut that the wrench hits the center of the fan.

Boss302

May 2, 2006
Mobile, Al
or what i did, same concept, is take a screw driver and stick inbetween the bolts so that it prevents the pulley from spinning in the direction your trying to turn towards. took about 30. mins. careful though not to round off those nuts cause there almost impossible to get off once they're rounded.

for the crank just bump the engine over.

snotboy

Mar 4, 2006
Kansas City
for the fan i left the belt on it to the alt and crank and loosed the nuts and then on the crank you can bump it or do the rope trick. The rope trick is pull one off your spark plugs and feed rope down the hole and manully turn the crank so it wont move anymore the rope will hold it from fully cycling then loosen your crank bolt. good luck

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Getting the pulley off is only half the battle. You will need to torque it to 197 ft-lbs when you put it back on. Try doing that with the starter! If its a manual, put it in 5th gear and chock the wheels. That will stop it spinning if your clutch is good. If its an automatic then you need to get more creative.

By the way, I needed a 3 foot extension on my breaker bar to get my pulley bolt loosened. .. but then again I am a wimp!

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
i did the same as the person above, but i was still getting a little bit of movement, so i set the e-brake too. with a lot of groaning and shouting, it eventually came loose, good luck

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
i got the fan off just fine, but couldnt for the life of me get the damn crank pulley loose. the motor is out now, i had to return the cherry picker. so what are my options for getting it loose out of the car??

strbo32098

Mar 7, 2006
Rosemead
If you have an impact gun, it will really make it alot easier or since you have the motor out have some one try prevent the flywheel from moving as you try to loosen it. Use a long breaker bar and a cheater bar.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
strbo32098 said:
If you have an impact gun, it will really make it alot easier or since you have the motor out have some one try prevent the flywheel from moving as you try to loosen it. Use a long breaker bar and a cheater bar.
cool, i will probably just use an impact gun. thanks for the help guys.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Impact wrench does not always work.

Off of the car, the easiest way is to turn it over, and remove the oil pan. Then put a 2x4 in it to prevent on of the throws of the crank from being able to run it's full cycle. Use a breaker bar, and it's very easy from here. haha I snapped a broomstick in half

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
3p141592654 said:
The pulley has a rubber insert in it. I'm not sure that a torch is such a good idea.
prolly not :-/, but i got it off, if i messed it up, i've got 2 spares, but i figured... metal expands when you heat it, so why not?

dunnbeetle

Dec 11, 2005
Bemidji, MN
www.myspace.com
Ok so once you get that loose, you need to take it off with a harmonic balancer right? well where the hell can you get the 7mm bolts that are long enough to thread into the pulley? Ive looked everywhere in my town and they dont sell them, and I cant find them anywhere online either. If anyone knows it would help me out a lot, thanks.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Impact gun will work if you have the right one. I had to do a timing belt on a Civic, and those crank pulleys are torqued to 220lb/ft or something like that... I had to go see my friend at a junkyard where he works and borrow their 3/4" drive impact gun. Those things rock....

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
dunnbeetle said:
yeah I guess I cant get my pulley bolt off either, I just went and tried with my impact and it didnt work
if the impact gun doesnt work for me, then i am trying the 2x4 way...
ForcedTorque said:
Impact wrench does not always work.

Off of the car, the easiest way is to turn it over, and remove the oil pan. Then put a 2x4 in it to prevent on of the throws of the crank from being able to run it's full cycle. Use a breaker bar, and it's very easy from here. haha I snapped a broomstick in half

dunnbeetle

Dec 11, 2005
Bemidji, MN
www.myspace.com
Well my breaker bar is at my bros but my engine was siezed up and I couldnt get it with a rachet with a bar on it. After I gave up on trying I took the oil pan off and turned the crank so it wasnt froze up anymore....I will hafta try the 2X4 method I guess.