Probe pistons

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
I'm shooting for 450 to 500 hp. I know stock pistons Max is 500hp on a great tune.

I'm most likely going to stay at 450 are probe pistons any good? Not going for 600 hp looking for a good safe 450 hp weekend driver thanks guys.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
Zrain25;1947385 said:
I'm shooting for 450 to 500 hp. I know stock pistons Max is 500hp on a great tune.

I'm most likely going to stay at 450 are probe pistons any good? Not going for 600 hp looking for a good safe 450 hp weekend driver thanks guys.

You don't know much so keep searching because 700rwhp has been made on stock bottom!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Probes are cheap and need work prior to installation.

Stock pistons will hold up well beyond your power goals. Tune depending...

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
Are you wanting 450hp at the crank or at the wheels? A good running, maintained, and tuned motor will easily make that on the stock bottom end. I've got a new shortblock in mine with all factory Toyota everything aside from the oiling system and I am not worried about it holding that at all.

My last MK3, the MK3 that is listed on MVP's MK3 section on their site, was built multiple times with many setups. I made anywhere from 420rwhp to as high as 540rwhp on the stock head and bottom end for over 2 and a half years before a tuning issue caused the bottom end to let go. There wasn't much for standalone choices back in 2004 so this was all done using either the AFC or the MAP ECU 1. I was the first MK3 to run the MAP ECU.

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
CajunKenny;1947398 said:
Probes are cheap and need work prior to installation.

Stock pistons will hold up well beyond your power goals. Tune depending...

May I ask what you mean by needing work prior to install? I'm running Probes btw

mk3racer

Mar 5, 2009
Northern Virginia
I have 16k miles on Probe pistons. I averaged two NASA events per year since 2010. Also dynoed 327WHP and 357ft-lb on 15psi. So over all, and given the cost, I am pleased with the probe pistons. HOWEVER, do note the following:
1- The machining on the valve reliefs creats extra thin areas on the crown, and to avoid the possibility of melting these razer sharp edges I had to grind down by hand these edges. Here is a picture of what I did:
http://s622.photobucket.com/user/bdg8racer/media/IMG_2265.jpg.html?sort=3&o=27
I can send more if needed, but that should give you the idea.

2- as with most forged pistons, they will slap due to extra clearance needed to allow for expansion. Also, some forged pistons have an offset pin to reduce the noise of piston slap, I believe the probs are not offset. From my experience they are actually not very noisy on startup, but as the block worms, thus expanding the bore a bit, the slapping is more noticeable. Then as the oil reaches full operating temperature of about 185F, then the piston expansion catches up and slap is hardly audible. When I pull in to the pit area after a track session there is no piston slap. So these are more race than street pistons in my opinion.

3- I would consider a skert coating to tighten up the clearance and thus reduce slap.

4- the skerts are shorter than stock, good for reving but only makes slap more likely.

So determine your needs before you commit. For me, I wanted an engine that has lots of race capability and less street, so noise before worm up is not an issue to me, but for others it might. It all depends on what you want to do with the engine.