Probe damage, my fault, experts see (Pics)

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
hi, i recently posted in a thread about probe pistons i had damaged one, i took my engine apart and took some pictures, i know it is my fault, seems it got too hot, my question is, why it only happened in cylinder number 1? i know is not the injector cause i switched injectors many times working on the car, i never placed them in the same order. My air fuel ratio was at 11.5 with 100oct gas at 26psi of a T70, i was talking with a friend about the problem and he said my problem was too much timming, i am currently running a map ecu 1, how can i controll timiming with out getting rid of my map ecu? and while my cranshaft is out i was planning to knife edge it, is it worthy? i am shooting with the new engine to get 650rwhp Please give your opinion. i leave pics.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

PS. I have 5 0.20 over spare probe pistons for sale

Last edited:

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I have seen the Map ECU blow up the number 1 cylinder on 4 different cars now. Call MVP, they used to be the biggest dealer of Map ECU's for the Supra, if you talked to them back then they would've told you it's the best thing. Now when a Customer calls and asks about it they tell you to stay away and doesn't work well with the 7M at all.

Trent used to work at MVP when MVP and PHR were in the same building. PHR did all the tuning and build of the car and it flowed great numbers but the timing was all over the place. What happened Trent blew up #1 and parted the car.

Get rid of that thing and go with a AEM, Maft Pro, or a Greddy EMU. I'm waiting on a wiring diagram with the EMU from Greddy for our car.

It doesn't have anything to do with injectors or the piston brand because that would've happened to CP's too.

The whole problem with the 7M is the ECU, once you get rid of it or someone makes a way to control timing you are on a time bomb with a big turbo.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Hoooollly shit! You went all out on that one!! :D

Get some pics up of the other pistons, and the cylinder walls. I'm not familiar with the MAP ecu, so I can't comment on its ability to destroy cylinder #1.

Looks to me like that piston was severely overheated, expanded into the cylinder wall and self destruction insued.

I'd like to see the other pistons, that's for sure. If the MAP ecu has a known problem, I'd probably suggest you GTFA from it ;)

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
Doward;1233131 said:
Hoooollly shit! You went all out on that one!! :D

Get some pics up of the other pistons, and the cylinder walls. I'm not familiar with the MAP ecu, so I can't comment on its ability to destroy cylinder #1.

Looks to me like that piston was severely overheated, expanded into the cylinder wall and self destruction insued.

I'd like to see the other pistons, that's for sure. If the MAP ecu has a known problem, I'd probably suggest you GTFA from it ;)
The worst part is i damaged my engine loosing with a 800hp mk4 supra, that thing was so fast that made me feel like a civic. i will get the other pics today if i can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZkBYLLJK2Q&translated=1

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
IJ.;1233133 said:
Classic leanout from a dying injector, enough fuel to convert that cylinder into a plasma cutter....

I second that, even though I don't know much about your setup or your map ecu I have had this happen to me before and it was from a clogged injector.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
frontierguy25;1233125 said:
The whole problem with the 7M is the ECU, once you get rid of it or someone makes a way to control timing you are on a time bomb with a big turbo.

The MAP ECU does not get rid of the 7M ECU. You can not control timing with the MAP ECU 1 (first version). How can the MAP ECU seek and destroy #1 cylinder.

Generally, I've heard that #1 cylinder usually is the first to go in a "too much timing" meltdown. That's why back in the day people used to tap the #1 exhaust runner with their EGT probe. Am I wrong on this?

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
Suprapowaz!(2);1233170 said:
The MAP ECU does not get rid of the 7M ECU. You can not control timing with the MAP ECU 1 (first version). How can the MAP ECU seek and destroy #1 cylinder.

Generally, I've heard that #1 cylinder usually is the first to go in a "too much timing" meltdown. That's why back in the day people used to tap the #1 exhaust runner with their EGT probe. Am I wrong on this?
I think the same too

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
7Mboost;1233466 said:
Ones I got from you are still running strong in my car. :)

good to hear. i would have run them if i could have found a block that wasnt already bored out past the .020" piston size. my cp's cost twice the price that you payed for my probes. but so far so good.... except that it sounds like a mack truck when i first start it up in the winter.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
Mr. Y;1233593 said:
Friend of mine has melted #1 too... stock ECU+MAFT-pro.

i melted #3 with stock ecu and maftpro. turned out that the #3 injector (RC 550) was only flowing 320cc. that was on my jasper motor. i dont ever recommend jasper. when i took it apart, they over machined the block and head way past toyota specs
-pete