Pressure Required To Actuate R-154 Clutch Fork

MA702Tone

Jan 28, 2009
Tennesse
Hello, I have a weird crazy idea of using a electric solenoid, or a liner actuator, to operate the clutch fork. Dose anyone have any specifications on how much ft-lb of force is required to fully cycle the clutch fork on a stock, or upgraded pressure plate? Any input, regarding this question is certainly appreciated guys. I have looked at the TRSM, though there is no information in regards to this, only specs on correlating hardware for the; slave cylinder, clutch fork, and pressure plate. I have searched on S.M. though this question has not been presented. I am sure that the pressure plate has a variable from stock - aftermarket of RPS Max Series Clutch w/Sprung Hub 6 Disk 1987-1992 Toyota Supra. :evil2:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
well... you could figure it out with math...

bore/stroke of the slave and master, length of the clutch pedal, pressure required to push the pedal...

I truely doubt a solenoid would be strong enough to do it, and any electric actuator I doubt is going to be strong or fast enough...

Maybe air...

MA702Tone

Jan 28, 2009
Tennesse
Poodles;1293334 said:
well... you could figure it out with math...

bore/stroke of the slave and master, length of the clutch pedal, pressure required to push the pedal...
I would attempt to do the math, though I do not have either the master or slave cylinder to take the measurements to calculate from.

I truely doubt a solenoid would be strong enough to do it, and any electric actuator I doubt is going to be strong or fast enough...

Maybe air...
I found this: http:/http://www.trombetta.com/sole...2/www.trombetta.com/cm/pdfs/W-XP517-36001.pdf / http://www.trombetta.com/solenoids-products.cfm?id=12 / using this to trigger the solenoid :burnout

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
might have to look at remote locking mechanisms (air, elec) for 4x4s and go from there.

MA702Tone

Jan 28, 2009
Tennesse
Bass_Man;1293387 said:
You can measure this very easy with hand spring-balance .
I would attempt to take all measurements, though I do not have a MkIII with a R-154 transmission to obtain this information.
:cry: I have also though of using a 4wheeler brake unit, plumed in to the slave cylinder, though I am uncertain if the unit will leak or create pressure if the unit is technically considered upside down mounted to the shifter. :evil2:

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Why do you want to do this? Sounds like more trouble than its worth. It's still going to take you longer to shift than it is to push in and release the clutch.

Air sounds like your only option. I don't think linear actuators are fast enough. The one you posted is a pull type but it looks like they do make a push.

MA702Tone

Jan 28, 2009
Tennesse
WhtMa71;1293424 said:
Why do you want to do this? Sounds like more trouble than its worth. It's still going to take you longer to shift than it is to push in and release the clutch. I have no use of my left leg, and I have destroyed 2 A340's :icon_evil. I use the supra for S.C.C.A events, drag as well as some drifting. The A340 is a great transmission though not for my intended use of the supra, and I do not want to convert to the TH 350-400 as the supra is a flex-use intended car.

Air sounds like your only option. I don't think linear actuators are fast enough. The one you posted is a pull type but it looks like they do make a push.
Air was a possibility, though having a compressor and all of the supporting lines, as well as a pressure control unit to moderate the slave cylinder reliably is not possible :icon_evil

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
this is MUCH more hassle then its worth. However your best way to measure the force is just to remove the slave and press the fork clutch with a force meter or use and type of spring/ruler device and see how much the spring stretches.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
With this kind of setup it will turn the clutch into an "on/off" sort of deal...this would be very tuff to street not to meation the abuse it will transfer to the trans.

If slamming gears is what you want then more power to you.

MA702Tone

Jan 28, 2009
Tennesse
Hahaha, ok guys so far some pretty great answers.. though I am guessing that I was not clear enough. I do not have a MkIII Supra at my current disposal to take pressure or force readings to identify how much force is required to apply pressure: From the slave cylinder push rod - the clutch fork.This is why I had posted this up. I am pretty sure that the system that I will be incorporating to actuate either the; slave cylinder - the clutch fork, or just the clutch fork, will be supply sufficient force at a push or pull force of 280<. The solenoid will be pretty fast, and will be fully controlled with a possible rheostat or a potentiometer. Keep in mind that, the A340 or TH-350-400 auto transmission is not up to the task of what my intended uses are for. I need the ability to up shift and downshift at my command, thus havening a auto transmission will not survive under the downshifting requirements for drifting and road courses. Trust me when I say this, I have destroyed 2 A340's in a 3 year time span. The transmission just simply dose not meet my driving requirements to reliably be competitive :nono: To some this may seem dumb, pointless, though my left leg has no use. I enjoy driving, and am in cloud 9 when it is in a manual transmission, this is why I am also doing away with the auto slush box. :naughty:

MA702Tone

Jan 28, 2009
Tennesse
Building a TH 350 - 400 transmission with a manual valve body would be great for accelerating; super fast shifts, almost instant clutch pack engagement, and manual control use of all gears. The only issue is downshifting, speed matching the RPM - gear / vehicle speed, slipping the clutch on a downshift too limit the sudden shock on the drive train, as well as keeping the drive wheels from loosing traction under heavy engine braking. Other than the down falls, the TH 350 - 400 would mostly be ideal for what I would like to do with the supra. Plus the idea of a 3 speed limit sucks if I am not mistaken for the TH350, and the TH400 limited to 4speed using up to 5 - 7% of engine power dose not make me to happy :cry:

MA702Tone

Jan 28, 2009
Tennesse
Building a TH 350 - 400 transmission with a manual valve body would be great for accelerating; super fast shifts, almost instant clutch pack engagement, and manual control use of all gears. The only issue is downshifting, speed matching the RPM - gear / vehicle speed, slipping the clutch on a downshift too limit the sudden shock on the drive train, as well as keeping the drive wheels from loosing traction under heavy engine braking. Other than the down falls, the TH 350 - 400 would mostly be ideal for what I would like to do with the supra. Plus the idea of a 3 speed limit sucks if I am not mistaken for the TH350, and the TH400 limited to 4speed using up to 5 - 7% of engine power dose not make me to happy :cry: