Pressure Plate ?

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Is there any way to tell if a pressure plate is good?
I'm planning on getting my flywheel resurfaced and I'm trying to find out if I need to get a whole new clutch pack or if I can just get a disc, throwout bearing etc. and be ok.
Will the clutch shop be able to tell me if the plate is any good?
This is my first clutch and I didn't see an answer for this when I searched.

Thanks guys.

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
The shop should be able to tell you if the pressure plate is any good. I think there is a procedure for testing in the TSRM with feeler gauges or something like that. I remember seeing something like that in my old MKII TSRM when I had that car. You may have to get the pressure plate turned by a machine shop similar as you would a flywheel or brake rotors.

EDIT: I was going to mention that I wouldn't go through all the trouble of changing out a clutch without using all new parts, including a pressure plate.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I dont see any good reason to re-use a disk. Just buy the kit as a whole. It should come with a pp, disk, T/O bearing, pilot bearing and alignment tool. Why go through the hassle of pulling your trans and replacing the clutch if your not gonna use all new parts?

I mean, how much is a disk alone anyway? how much are you saving now to cost yourself later?

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Noooo, I wasn't saying re-using the disk. :biglaugh:

Just a disk is about $134 a new kit is about $400 for what I plan on making.
I'm using an ACT clutch probably gonna use a 6 or 4-puck. Pilot and throw out bearings are cheap anyways. Already have an alignment tool.

I was saying I was trying to find out if I needed a new pressure plate.
The disk is dead so I know I need a new one. :)

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Ohh oops I mis-read...

But the advise remains the same. Im a cheap ass and well known for being a scrounge when it comes to parts. There are two things I wont scrounge on...brakes and clutches. Brakes 'cause its a life or death deal, and clutches because its just too much of a pain in the pooper to have to redo too soon cause the parts ended up being junk.

But I suppose if the plate was low milage and the surface looked ok with no heat cracks or hot spots...then it would be possible, but not wise.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
If there are burn marks in it toss it. Yes you can just buy the disk. Its probably around $130US from toyota. Get a pilot bearing while your at it at least. The throwout is cheap too so get it. The clutch with the forks is the most expensive. I think I paid $250cdn just for that.