Pressure bleeding brakes?

Zelfear

Helping everyone else
Jan 21, 2009
SC
Has anyone done this with our cars. I have googled it and all I can find are ones with plastic caps. I would like to try to do this with my car. I think if I hose a big hose clamp to tighten the rubber cap I can make it work. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Zelfear

Helping everyone else
Jan 21, 2009
SC
WhtMa71;1484350 said:

Ok Pressure bleeding your brakes you put pressure in the mastercylinder to push the fluid through the lines. All the ones I have ever seen use a plastic cap. The cap on my mastercylinder is rubber so as soon as you apply pressure it is sure to pop off. I was wondering if there was any way to get by this. The only thing I could think of was to put a hoseclamp around the cap to hold it in place. I wanted to know if there is a better way to do it?

Zelfear

Helping everyone else
Jan 21, 2009
SC
jetjock;1484357 said:
Lots of bleeders out there. Motive is popular:

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

Or make one from a garden sprayer. Fwiw I pressure bleed from the wheel, the way it's done on aircraft.

I was trying to make one but I was wondering how to fit it to the master cylinder.

When you say you do it at the wheel I'm assuming you are using vacum. Correct?

Zelfear

Helping everyone else
Jan 21, 2009
SC
MarkIII4Me;1484360 said:
Save yourself the headache. Just get a friend to help and have him bleed the calipers while you press the brake pedal.

I have already tried this but I'm not getting much of anything to the rear. I was wanting to pressure bleed it to eleminate the fact of it not being bled as the problem.

My brakes were working fine. I turned my rotors and didnt replace my pads and then get in the car and the pedals alittle low so I drive it and it gets worse the more I use it. I replaced the master cylinder 6 months ago and was having the same problem with getting very little to the rear and used a small vaccum pump and bled them like normal to get it to work but if I made a pressure bleeder it would be alot easier.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I believe Motive sells a universal fitting that clamps over the master cylinder.

Zelfear;1484417 said:
When you say you do it at the wheel I'm assuming you are using vacum. Correct?

jetjock;1484357 said:
....Fwiw I pressure bleed from the wheel....

Although vacuum (say with a Mityvac) works OK too. Anything is better than the old fashioned way...

Last edited:

Supra7MG

Supramania Contributor
Oct 13, 2005
Duncansville, PA.
I did a buddy's MKIV today as well as my 2 Supra's in the past with a pressure bleeder.
The results are not convincing.
While flushing a system it helps to get things started, especially if I'm alone. I always follow up with having a friend depress the brake pedal slowly till it bottems out and then crack the bleeder of each caliper one at a time. This method has always produced a rock hard brake pedal.

Zelfear

Helping everyone else
Jan 21, 2009
SC
Well, I made my own last night. We used a 1-1/2 rubber pipe coupling and a 1-1/2 screw in pvc cap. Drilled a hole in the pvc cap threaded in a T. Connected a gauge to one end and a regular air hose fitting to the other. We pumped the compressor up to the desired pressure then connected the hose and opened the bleeder screw. This worked great only problem was stopping to refill the MC.

I needed to get the car drivable last night so we just kinda rigged it but it worked great. I'm going to build a better one that will refill as it pumps now that I have time. Thanks for all the responses.

P.S. I can take pics of what I made if anyone is interested.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Zelfear;1486023 said:
Well, I made my own last night. We used a 1-1/2 rubber pipe coupling and a 1-1/2 screw in pvc cap. Drilled a hole in the pvc cap threaded in a T. Connected a gauge to one end and a regular air hose fitting to the other. We pumped the compressor up to the desired pressure then connected the hose and opened the bleeder screw. This worked great only problem was stopping to refill the MC.

I needed to get the car drivable last night so we just kinda rigged it but it worked great. I'm going to build a better one that will refill as it pumps now that I have time. Thanks for all the responses.

P.S. I can take pics of what I made if anyone is interested.

I'd think a blower nozzle with a threaded tip would work best as it would give you full control over the air.

Put-Together-the-Blower-Assembly.jpg

Zelfear

Helping everyone else
Jan 21, 2009
SC
adampecush;1486033 said:
I'd think a blower nozzle with a threaded tip would work best as it would give you full control over the air.

Put-Together-the-Blower-Assembly.jpg

Only problem with using that on the setup I had, was I would have to unscrew it to refill the MC or have a diffrent pressure relief.