Pre-89 N/A Supra

zm_br

spool me
Oct 30, 2005
Naperville, IL
www.cardomain.com
So, I have this friend that works at the Toyota Dealership in town.
He keeps telling me that there's a MKIII out back that's got a BHG and I should buy it as a parts car or to fix up. Just make an offer since the manager wants to get rid of it. Says the sales manager paid the previous owner like $3k for it. It's been back there for a few months now.

It's really clean, completely stock, silver paint and gray cloth. I went and looked at it a few weeks ago at night. Nobody was there to unlock it, but it looked like it was well taken care of. I think it even has the seatbelt guides still.

Sure wish I could afford the car, because I would snatch it up to drive a day or two a week.
I don't care that it's
N/A - i don't need boost all the time... ok, it would be nice
pre-89 - i like the grill and tails on all MKIIIs
non-targa - would be fun to have though
fabric interior - I think I like fabric more than the leather.

Sucks that it's Auto, though. But, my 89 covers all of that besides the roof. (Side note, I really need to order new springs/shocks from CK for my 89.)

Doesn't help that I bought brand new HG and ARP bolts/studs from another friend for $50 over the summer just in case my 89 goes BHG. So, I have the parts that this pre-89 needs, assuming nothing else is wrong.

Don't you guys hate obsessing about a car to buy.

Of course, if anybody replies with interest about it, I'll snap up some pictures and find out some more information so you can buy it and I won't be able to. lol

Cliff notes - found a pre-89 for "sale". don't have money to buy at the moment. wish someone else would buy so i don't know it's still available.

Last edited:

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
When the manager paid $3k for the car a couple of months back, did he know it had a BHG, or did that develop later?

Either way, If he paid $3k for the car, I can't see him letting the car go too cheaply, but it's worth putting in a low ball offer all the same. Worst they can say is "No" .

If you're serious about it, you're got to ask yourself exactly what you'd do with the car, no point of buying another one if you have no plan of action for it.

zm_br

spool me
Oct 30, 2005
Naperville, IL
www.cardomain.com
oh, i have plan of action for it. part one of the big plan is to have a better paying job, which i'm currently sending out resumes for. no, i'm not looking for a better job just to buy this car. lol

my friend said that the previous owner drove the car in, and they discovered the BHG, if i recall. he said that it didn't have it long.

It's just sitting in the back lot without any window stickers on it. They put a couple of those paper license plates with the dealership name on them onto the car, so I'm guessing that's their way of saying the dealership owns it now. lol.

zm_br

spool me
Oct 30, 2005
Naperville, IL
www.cardomain.com
i had a couple minutes during lunch today to shoot a few photos. didn't want to wait for someone to get a key, but this shows the exterior.

p802218_1.jpg

p802218_2.jpg

p802218_3.jpg

p802218_4.jpg

p802218_5.jpg

p802218_6.jpg

p802218_7.jpg

p802218_8.jpg

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
the side mouldings are on they're way out, and check out the tow hook on the rear bumper;) rear window trim, etc + BHG+NA. just from what i could see quickly. i wouldn't go higher than $1500.
it looks 100% better than any pre 89 i could find around here though:icon_bigg

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
WOW! If I lived in the area I would buy it...$1000-1500 first offer as it should be towed as to not warp the head. Absolutely beautiful condition! To bad its not atleast a 5-speed. Great canidate for a gte,1jz,2jz swap.

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
If this car was in cali. I would get it.....lol.

So they gave some one like 3g's for the car as a trade in right? they always do that. I bet you can get that car really cheap.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
WOW!! That car is pristine!!! Yea, if you have all the parts needed to fix that car try to get it for 1000-1500. I, personally wouldn't go anymore than that because it is not in a running condition. NA. There could be damage to the motor.....warp head, extremely overheat during BHG. But the body/exterior is really nice, the SUPRA emblem is still fresh on the nose cone. This car is going to bug you for awhile.LOL

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Looks to be in very good shape. How many miles? I don't think you'll get it much below $1500.00-$1800.00 Maybe if you talk up the BHG and all other things that would have to be replaced, possibly a complete rebuild if the coolant got to the bearings. In fact you probably should figure doing a tear-down to check the damage.

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
its clean but wouldn't give over 1200 for it. So the dealer gave hime 3k off his new car right? if so you know it didn't really cost the dealer 3k lol

zm_br

spool me
Oct 30, 2005
Naperville, IL
www.cardomain.com
my email said:
Thank you for your interest in our 1987 Toyota Supra. This one-owner Supra, with 151,595 miles on the odometer, is in very nice condition for the age and mileage.
The car has a bad head gasket. We will sell this car As Is/As Shown, for $2,000.00, plus tax, title and license fees. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions, or if I may be of assistance in anyway. And again, Thank You.

== MESSAGE
===============================================
Hi. I'm interested in finding out more information about the 1987 Supra on your lot. Please resond by email.
Thanks