Pre +89 Engine into +89 and later 2JZ Swap???

FLMK3SUPRA

MK3forLIFE
Feb 17, 2008
Riverview, FL
Just as it looks the 87 Turbo that i have's body is in pretty bad shape, the +89 parts car is in better shape just no engine. The +89 is also NA dont know if that will make a difference or not. I just got a new harness for the 87 is it possible to change it to the +89 and still be able to later change it out to the 2JZ once my money is right?:1zhelp:

Last edited:

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
you can swap in any engine, it's the wiring that'll get you...

I've heard of people having headlight issues when not using the right year (87/88 - 89/92) engine in their car, among other things. I guess if you swap the harness as well, you might be able to avoid those issues but I'm not 100% sure.

You can use a 2JZ in a pre-89, as www.bicperformance.com sells pre 89 JZ mounts. However no matter how you look at it, a 2JZ swap will not be easy..

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
so you want to wire in a pre 89 harness into a 89+ car that you want to wire a 2jz in the future?

yup all possible. its just in the plugs

Supraguy760

Jan 6, 2007
san diego
so im interested how this turned out. Im doing the exact same thing right now. Im not sure if i need to transfer the entire harness including fuse boxes and guages or, if i can just change the plugs and have it work correctly

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
There's only a few plugs and mebbe a sensor or two that are different between the years (and the whole yellow/grey plugs thing too :))
I did the reverse of this - 90 engine into an 86.5 - I had an 89 harness and it was fine except for a few plugs in the engine bay and there was one plug for the body harness that needed splicing and lots of messing around - the one that connects to the dash, CEL, tacho etc. In the end the harness was faulty so I just got an 88 harness that had the same body plugs lol :)

There's a website page about putting a 2jz into an a70 (i searched for those terms on google, cant remember the page sorry) that tells you what each plug does and the differences between pre and post 89. I used that as reference and it helped a LOT.