PowerSlot Rotors = Crap?

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
I'm just trying to dig up some info on the Powerslot rotors that MVP Motorsports and Driftmotion both sell. On MVP's own website they state that the rotors are poor quality and recommend Rotora (which is weird because I don't know why they would carry them if they say they're crap)

At any rate, I just wanted to know what makes them "low quality"? I'm guess they don't last long or fade quickly under harsh driving conditions?

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=330&SearchYN=N

As soon as my build resumes this Spring I'm going to go w/ the Slotted Rotora and some EBC Red or Green Stuff Pads.

Also, does anyone have any input on the Stoptech pads that Driftmotion has in stock?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
IIRC PowerSlots were made by Brembo. Remember the discussion on here from loooong time ago. So idk. Haven't used them much though (and with cheap pads too), so can't give a real opinion.

E: Searched a bit on here, e.g:
Ckanderson;989584 said:
they have no idea what they are talking about.

powerslots are brembo rotors. they even say brembo on the sides. powerslot takes them, machines in the slots and then coats the rotors to prevent rust.

I have a feeling Dusty wrote that cause he has a bigger margin on the rotora rotors.

@ http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?69670-powerslot-rotors/page2&highlight=powerslot

Last edited:

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Hmm, I've been searching various threads on impressions of the various rotors ie; Brembo, Powerslot, Rotora. I have yet to see anyone say anything really negative about Powerslot rotors so far.

Prehaps what is meant is the rotors on MVP are some sort of cheap knock offs made in a third world country like "Powerslot Replicas". Either way the item description is so bad I don't know why they even carry the product then.

I think I might send a email to MVP and ask for them to clarify things.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
I have Powerslots on my supra. But I have the 99-04 cobra/mach 1 brake kit, so the rotor is actually for a cobra/mach 1. But i have to say that these rotors are awesome and much better build quality than the ones ive seen. I had these right next to a set of EBC [ultimax..? they were black and slotted] and I ditched the EBC rotors for the powerslots. But anyways, ive had em on my supra for a while now and theyre still in great shape. Nothing wrong with this brand and I would actually prefer powerslots over EBC rotors. Hope this answers your questions

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Stock brakes are still sorely lacking no matter what you do to them... Money is better spent on saving for an big brake kit or just replacing with stock replacement components. Replacing the brake fluid and running better pads is about the limit you can honestly do to the stock brakes as they just don't have the mass to handle the heat.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Poodles;1651645 said:
Stock brakes are still sorely lacking no matter what you do to them... Money is better spent on saving for an big brake kit or just replacing with stock replacement components. Replacing the brake fluid and running better pads is about the limit you can honestly do to the stock brakes as they just don't have the mass to handle the heat.

Yeah, I lost my motivation to buy the slotted rotors. I just went w/ a fresh set of OEM rotors, Stoptech pads, and Goodridge brakelines. Eventually I might get a big brake kit when I get around to it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ebc red stuff ftw. Thats all i got to say. Ive used 30$ napa rotors and they work fine if you have good pads. No warping or anything with hard stops.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I didn't like mine. They warped quickly. Yes, they really do that despite the Stop Tech article. I went back to Toyota OEM, which might also be Brembo. I can't remember any more. And it is possible my bad fronts were a one time defect.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I used them a few years ago and they seemed to fade a little too quick for my taste. Poodle nailed it, IMO. MKIII's are heavy and no matter what rotor you use (if still stock size), they would not give me the stopping power my car needed. A good BBK was the only solution for me, and they ARZ set up has been the best mod I've done, hands down.

Which BCT are you in? It looks like I'm heading back to the 187th in the summer

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
rakkasan;1654667 said:
I used them a few years ago and they seemed to fade a little too quick for my taste. Poodle nailed it, IMO. MKIII's are heavy and no matter what rotor you use (if still stock size), they would not give me the stopping power my car needed. A good BBK was the only solution for me, and they ARZ set up has been the best mod I've done, hands down.

Which BCT are you in? It looks like I'm heading back to the 187th in the summer

Right now I should be good on OEM rotors, I probably won't be doing too much spirted driving. Those slotted rotor would've been a waste probably..

When the time is right I might get a Cobra brake kit or something decent.

I'm w/ the Rakkasans. You should see me around then, because I'm not really planning on leaving.

Were you with Iron or Leader before?

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

hvyman;1654243 said:
Ebc red stuff ftw. Thats all i got to say. Ive used 30$ napa rotors and they work fine if you have good pads. No warping or anything with hard stops.

In some of the reviews I read people were whining and crying about low speed braking noises and dust. (not on here though)

Of course, I could really care less about some damn dust or a little noise, but I just said to hell w/ it and decided to try out these Stoptech Pads.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
neither, I was with the Rakkasan Raiders (1/D/2-187th) back in the Desert Storm days. I'm going to be attached to the 187th, but I will be teaching Pathfinder & Rappel Master at the Air Assault School. I will definitely link up with you though.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There dusty yes but never had any noise front or rear until they get low. Same for the trd carbon/ceramic pads.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
EBC redstuff are squeaky until they bed in fully. Mine (Cobra Front Brake Kit Stock Rears) made noise for about 500 miles. Now there quiet and they work VERY well. You have to be gentle on them for a few hundred milesso they wear even then kill them a few good times. If you bed them in properly there quiet and work well. Dust seems to be about average.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I have power slot rotors and ultimate ceramic brake pads, and I've been unable to make them fade, even after three track days. Perhaps with more brave and practice I'll get enough heat in them to fade, but so far, it is not so. The rust coating on the rotors works amazing, my rotors just look dirty after 10000km

And let's be honest, brake fade is caused primarily by the pad, not so much the rotor. Cast iron, for the most part, is cast iron. I would not be surprised if you could get thermal cracking on the PowerSlot rotors due to the slots being machined into a cast rotor... but I've not seen any on mine and I inspect them closely whenever the wheels come off. And even then that's unlikely compared to a drilled rotor.

I know there's a few people on here who do competition racing on stock brakes... they just go through pads fast. I think the stock brakes don't get the credit they deserve. Anyway, some regulated racing won't let you change the brakes.... so solutions are available for the OEM arrangement.

I think someone's blowing smoke up your butt.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
rakkasan;1656600 said:
Who would that be?

From the OP, referencing MVP's review of Powerslot.

SupraMedical68;1651365 said:
I'm just trying to dig up some info on the Powerslot rotors that MVP Motorsports and Driftmotion both sell. On MVP's own website they state that the rotors are poor quality and recommend Rotora (which is weird because I don't know why they would carry them if they say they're crap)

I did a hell load of reading before I spent the money on PowerSlots, and that comment is the only single peep on the internet of negative words expressed in regards to PowerSlot rotors.