Power Window Problems PLEASE HELP

88mk3turbo

Jan 25, 2009
lynn mass
i been having a problem with my windows for a while now. the windows would work randomly all summer long. About mid summer the passenger side window completly stopped working. it wouldnt go up. I took off panel put power to motor and it went up. so im guessing motors good. the driver side still work most of the time but sometimes doesnt go up either. i got the master switch and passenger side switch from a supra that was working fine, installed new switches, and still doesnt work for me.passemger side still not working. any suggestions? any input would be greatly appreciated

bayareakhiladi

May 5, 2008
San Jose
I'm having a similar problem. My master power window switch lowers the passenger's side window, but it doesn't bring it back up. However, the passenger side switch works fine. So I'm able to put the window back up from the passenger's side. I've been trying to find a possible fix for the problem. Going to try to take a look at the master switch one day.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Also, check this thread. It maybe your fuses.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?101433-power-windows&highlight=master+power+window+switch

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
get a switch from a car that you know works for sure, and swap them. I had that problem. swapped switches on both side and it worked. I bought some switches off of ebay and the were crap. Just make sure you know they work for sure, before you try and chase down gremlins. Or try and clean the contacts on the ones you have now.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Jiggle the wiring accordion between the door and the body near the hinge while you try to move the window up/down. Might be a bad wire in that loom there, not too uncommon as that is where the wires are bending back and forth constantly.

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
--Wolf--;1611550 said:
Thought this was very common...

The contacts on the switches need cleaning. Really easy to do and will more than likely fix it.

yes the drivers side switch comes apart. i cleaned mine and havent had a problem since.

Vacationtime247

Apr 17, 2009
Muncie, IN
1. Make sure you have power at the switch with the key on, disconnect the switch and use a DVOM to find +12 volts. If there is no + voltage check the fuse.
2. If you have +12 volts coming in to the switch with the key on, the fuse is good.
3. I like to check power at the plug in by the window motor. If you have no +12 volt power coming to the motor with the window switch pressed down it's probably the switch.
4. If you have power coming in to the window motor but it still doesn't move try jumping the leads on the motor with some jumper wire. Hook one side to + and the other to - and reverse. If the window motor never moves, it's the window motor. If it goes up and down, you have +12 volts coming in, the switch is good, bad ground.
Hope this helps!
VT247

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Vacationtime247;1611739 said:
1. Make sure you have power at the switch with the key on, disconnect the switch and use a DVOM to find +12 volts. If there is no + voltage check the fuse.
2. If you have +12 volts coming in to the switch with the key on, the fuse is good.
3. I like to check power at the plug in by the window motor. If you have no +12 volt power coming to the motor with the window switch pressed down it's probably the switch.
4. If you have power coming in to the window motor but it still doesn't move try jumping the leads on the motor with some jumper wire. Hook one side to + and the other to - and reverse. If the window motor never moves, it's the window motor. If it goes up and down, you have +12 volts coming in, the switch is good, bad ground.
Hope this helps!
VT247

good how-to:)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
One more common item that should get mentioned here... the window lock on the driver side will stop the passenger window from going up and down. Make sure it's not in the locked position. Tends to make folks feel rather silly when that's the root of their problem... don't ask how I know that. :D