Power steering woes (spitting fluid)

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
Well I flushed my power steering a while back and put in nice clean ATF...
It started whining the other day. Now its losing the power steering, I have bubbles in the fluid and the fluid blew out all over my engine this afternoon.

When I give it gas with the cap off it goes down for a second and then MORE flows up and it overflows the res. Its getting harsher on turning whats wierd is it doesnt hum until you hit the gas... I cant pull stuff down till friday...

Issue 2: I called the parts place and they said they had a 'hydro assist' pump. WTF is that? I looked at advance and some others and Im trying to make sure I get the right pump if I need it.

Any ideas on what to try the fluid is clean so far.

V

SavageDK

Jan 29, 2006
Denmark
www.supraklubdanmark.dk
Sounds to me as if you have a a leak in one of the hoses. I have the same problem. It spits servo-fluid on my downpipe :p The whiney noise is a low-fluid indication. Air is getting in there from someplace, thats why it foams.

It could also be your steering rack that leaks fluid, check for wet spots on the hoses and the rack.

Michael

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
IJ.;938344 said:
Blocked filter screen in the bottom of the reservoir.

Man I cleaned the hell out of the thing when I flushed the system... How could the air be getting in it was fine until I flushed it...

I did use a different clamp on the bottom hose though (worm drive) because it was hard to reach the clip when I was fighting with the res.

Ill check the down line and screen tonight.

Chris

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
IJ.;938344 said:

Well I adjusted the fluid level to the cold mark. Started the car and its now working fine????????
WHHHHAAAAATTTTT!???

Is it possible the car ran on power steering fluid before and my switching it made the problem... The fluid is very thick when I checked it.

V

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
IJ.;940293 said:
Did you bleed it when you refilled it the first time Chris?

I had it up on stands (its very low and because Im 6'3 it kills my back leaning all that way down... I did the side to side and refill but it really didnt take much fluid in. Its wierd it seems fine but I need to clean the mess it made in there. Im down with flu.

recap:
flushed and cleaned resi
polished res
put in Dextron 3 trans fluid
ran wheels side 2 side 3 times at least and it wasnt squealing

Drove 120-160 miles car starts squeeling on cold mornings... Then dies 2 days later... Now its working.
Fluid seems unusually thick for trans... Like honey on the stick... Its Penzoil I picked up at Pep Boys.

Chris

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
IJ.;942952 said:
Chris: Doesn't sound like Trans/Steer fluid at all.

Is it possible it reacted with whatever crapola the previous owner put in there? I have found some odd fixes in this car since I got it.

It is dextron ATF according to the label and it comes out red and nice. It was extremely cold when I checked it. I can flush it out again. Its not that hard to flush with the hose I made.

Chris

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
IJ.;943376 said:
Chris: Maybe but I thought you said you flushed the old crap out?

I did flush the old crap out but new crap was going in at the same time. Its the cleanest red now with no traces of black. I need to clean up the mess when I get better but I started it today and there was no whine.

Im going to clean up the overflow tomorrow and scope it out.

Chris

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
IJ.;938344 said:

IJ thanks for trying to help. I flushed and bled the system. After cleaning up the mess from the overflow I drove it to work today. I heard a small whine once when coming off the highway but nothing like the last time I drove it. I can say that there is a serious amount of moisture in my driveway and I am dealing with it. (creek on the left side) I am going to check the level when I get home and see where it stands. I have a new clunk noise from the right rear I need to check out too. (joy)

I think you were right though and I had an air pocket.

Thanks for your suggestions (and thanks to the other guys)

Chris

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
IJ.;942952 said:
Chris: Doesn't sound like Trans/Steer fluid at all.

IJ I learned something today: My pump was whining when I increased the throttle or turned the wheel. I flushed all the penzoil ATF and used Castrol Import ATF. Pump is quiet as a mouse. no surging either.

The fluid had an odd suspension in it looked like bubbles I didnt see any when I looked in the resevior. It was pumping fine.

maybe something happened to the gallon jug o ATF I bought at pep boys?

Chris

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
IJ.;958516 said:
Chris: How strange!

Wonder what was in it?

I dont know but its definitely NOT whining now... I had flushed it twice with the Penzzoil and it was whining. Now with the Castrol its humming... Of course now I have another sensor I have to replace as I noticed yet another broken one... Its the one on the water neck next to the coolant line that goes to the turbo.. Has 2 wires on top.

Chris