Power steering problem need help

Quazaky

Jun 21, 2014
Toronto
Hi guys, So ever since i brought my car out of storage for the winter there has been an issue with the power steering. When ever the car is running its squeaks really loud. I also have Zero assist it feels like its fighting me trying to turn even. the ATF will go from empty reservoir to overflow all over my engine bay at random. So far the things i have done are
1.tried to put new fluid in (went all over engine bay)
2. clean filter in Reservoir
3. bleed system (at least thought i did)
4. checked belt for slipping/condition ( looks ok)

this issue only started to happen after i took the car out of storage. I tried to bleed it following what it says in the haynes repair book but it did not help. looking for a next step or problem to the issue. please and thank you

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
How did you bleed it? If it goes from empty to overflowing it sounds like you have air in the system somehow. Have you checked to see if it is leaking anywhere?

Quazaky

Jun 21, 2014
Toronto
To bleed i jacked front of car up so wheels were of the ground put some fluid in then turned wheel 10-15 times, checked levels added more did that about 3 times. then soon as the car was back on the road it got loud again. also the steering when from having some assist and being loud to ZERO assist (felt like it was resisting turning) and dead quite and when i open the hood fluid was everywhere. seemed to have leaked through the cap

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You want to bleed it with the wheels on the ground.

But first I'd make sure the suction hose from reservoir to pump is good.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Can you please check the hose from reservoir to the pump and make sure there's no kink in it. It seems like you don't have a good flow of fluid to the pump and fluid are returning to the reservoir faster than going to the pump thus it's all overflowing out of the cap. When that happens you don't have fluid in the pump which explains zero assist when you steer. Any leaks other than overflow from the reservoir?

Quazaky

Jun 21, 2014
Toronto
wheels can barely turn when they are on the ground so i had to bleed with it in the air.

Akito both lines that go to the reservoir do not have kinks or abnormal bends also before Fluid went everywhere there was no leaks that i could see. One other thing came to mind the power steering system took very little fluid in maybe 500ml which about half a quart. Also i took the reservoir out again and the filter on the inside is ripped about half way off. but i don't think that would cause this big of an issue

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Assuming you can still get parts the pump can be rebuilt. Better to just replace it though. Flush the system well although with a faulty suction screen it may already be too late. No matter how it ends up install a Magnefine filter on the return line when done.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
jetjock;2043999 said:
Assuming you can still get parts the pump can be rebuilt. Better to just replace it though. Flush the system well although with a faulty suction screen it may already be too late. No matter how it ends up install a Magnefine filter on the return line when done.

All good info here, the Magnefine is really easy to install and keeps the suction screen clean too. Maybe your suction screen is so clogged that it isn't letting the fluid through as fast as the pump can take it out and therefore it overflows from the cap when it is being pumped back into the reservoir?

Quazaky;2044001 said:
return line is the smaller one right?

Return line is going to be the one that is higher on the reservoir than the feed line. I can't remember if it was the smaller or larger...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Return is smaller.

If the suction hose is cracked or your getting air into the pump it will do exactly what your experiencing. The 7m pumps are pretty tough. Shouldn't take a shit from sitting.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Yea, these are sure tough, I'm pretty sure the only time they'll die is when one left a pump running without fluid to its own death.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Quazaky;2043914 said:
wheels can barely turn when they are on the ground so i had to bleed with it in the air.

You have a pumping problem. You can make sure it is not a rack problem by doing a pressure output test. If for some reason it has good output, then you know the restriction is in the rack. I assume all your checks listed in the OP are good.