power steering issues

i have a 1990 supra 7mgte, i recently replaced both the rack and pinnion and the power steering pump, they were both napa brand. ok so now on to the issue, whenever the car is cold(not run for at least 8 hours usually overnight) the power steering pump wines like it doesn't have any fluid in it, after the car warms up it goes away and the fluid level is always the same. it does bubble as is i were bleeding the system so my questions are has anyone else had the problem and did you ever fix it, could the napa pump be causing it or even the rack and pinnion(if possible), and could it be the power steering fluid itself. thanks for your time

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
make sure you DIDNT use power steering fluid. a lot of people do that and get your symptoms or weird steering issues, i've seen it happen.

use atf fluid.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
Hacki_sack_kid;1218902 said:
i have a 1990 supra 7mgte, i recently replaced both the rack and pinnion and the power steering pump, they were both napa brand. ok so now on to the issue, whenever the car is cold(not run for at least 8 hours usually overnight) the power steering pump wines like it doesn't have any fluid in it, after the car warms up it goes away and the fluid level is always the same. it does bubble as is i were bleeding the system so my questions are has anyone else had the problem and did you ever fix it, could the napa pump be causing it or even the rack and pinnion(if possible), and could it be the power steering fluid itself. thanks for your time

What the previous poster said about the auto trans fluid is right on the money. It will whine off and on without using good ol auto fluid. I can tell you that if you still have bubbles it wasnt bled enough. Mine had bubbles for a short while and then went away. I flushed the res out and cleaned the screen it was in serious need.

V

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Don't mean to highjack but just a question while on this topic.... I had no idea that the reservoir screen can be cleaned.....I always thought that once it gets dirty it is time to buy a new reservoir as it cannot be taken out...?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I use brake cleaner and a med bristle paint brush that will fit in the top....repeat as necessary ;)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You take the return line and extend it to a bucket...you will need a helper. Crank the car, run for about 10 sec, and start pouring ATF into the reservoir...turn the steering wheel back and forth a couple times. When the line flow going to the bucket turns bright red, you are done. Hook everything back up (great time for that in-line filter install) and fill the reservoir. Run the car and turn the steering again to get the air out. Check the reservoir level....again after a day or two.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic AFT...only Mobil 1 product I think is worth using ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
...and hope you caught it before it did damage to the pump and rack.

Cleaning the screen in the res. is easy as all you have to do is spray carb or brake cleaner in the opposite direction to the flow...