Power Steering Braided Line Fittings

--Golli

Feb 6, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
I need some help with sorting out what fittings I need for my powersteering system.

My original problem started when a slight leak in my high pressure line turned into a major leak. I'm replacing this line with a braided line from Driftmotion. This one.

After doing a bit of reading up, I found that good upgrade to the powersteering system would be to use the 7M engine oil cooler instead of the stock V/H oil cooler and to add a filter into the system also. So this is what I will be doing.

Now I've decided I want to go full braided lines for the system, mainly for the bling factor, (as I want to eventually have all my lines in the engine bay braided) but also because hard rubber lines and spring clamps piss me off!

So what I need to know is what fittings I should use to attach the braided lines thats replacing the stock low pressure lines to the parts in the system (Resivour, Pump, Rack, Cooler, Filter)
For those that have worked on the power steering system, most of these have the rubber hoses slide over the top of metal pipes and then a clamp tightens the rubber hose down.

This picture of the resivour will hopefully show you what I mean.
p1310485_1.jpg

So yeah, would I need to have threads welded on, or is there a fitting that can clamp down onto these?

Cheers,
Dale

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Hi there

I run all braided lines in my PS setup, we removed all the factory lines and replaced with braided lines and AN fittings. Everything is -6. I also have a custom PS cooler, which sits infront of the interooler to one side in the front bumper opening. This elimiated ALOT of extra tubing from the setup

The only rubber hose I have left in the car is the one that runs from the reservoir to the pump, you cant see that one and its not high pressure or very long so we let it be. I have actually bought a brand new replacement for that but may look at going to an inline filter in which case I may need to cut the hose in half or just use 2 random lengths

Hope this helps

--Golli

Feb 6, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
Cheers Dan.

I managed to get it sorted. Went into Outlaw's in town and they helped me out.
However I am still in need to get a PS fluid filter, got any idea's where to go for one in Adelaide? Or am I looking at an internet buy?

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Not sure on the filter, I never ran one before and at this stage it was just a thought to get one.

Did you weld the AN fitting onto your PS reservoir yet?

I'm keen to see your setup once its all put together

I have been buying a few fittings from outlaws lately too, still waiting for their next shipment to come in so I can get some more stuff

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
I'm really interested in this too. I've have had problems with my PS for ages now and replaced almost everything. However I did not use a high pressure hose on all parts.
Can you tell me what parts of te system I need high pressure hoses for please?

--Golli

Feb 6, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
The high pressure hose I used was from Driftmotion. http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7mpshose.php
It was a straight bolt on, looks the goods and works a treat.

For the low pressure side, I ended up going with the normal rubber braided hose, as I didn't see the need to go teflon (plus I couldn't afford all the fittings...) and the fittings I used just ended up being blue alloy covers for normal screw clamps, simple but effective. Also an improvement over the spring clamps that where on the system before.

p1327007_1.jpg

p1327007_2.jpg

I relocated the stock PS reservoir to just above the intercooler and put the cooler on the drivers side of the intercooler. I don't like how I have mounted the cooler tho, so I'll probably redo it once Uni has stopped bombarding me with assignments. I ended up using 1.3m of -12 braided line from the reservoir to the Pump, and 1.6m of -8 braided line from the rack to the cooler then to the reservoir combined.

p1327007_3.jpg

p1327007_4.jpg

I'll get some photos tomorrow arvo (more like today, late night thanks to assignments *sigh*) of the system back together.
I've been driving it for the passed 3 weeks, and the steering feel has improved alot now that the system isn't spitting out fluid and sucking in air! :icon_razz Dan, if you want to check the system out in person, let us know.

PS: Apologies for some of the photo's being shit... Used the phone to get them...

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
FWIW, Powersteering high pressure side see's pressures of 1000 PSI+, and Driftmotions hose looks like plain Jane stainless braided with a burst rating of 300Psi.

--Golli

Feb 6, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
Well being half the price of anything I could get made for it here in Adelaide and claiming to hold up to 2000psi, I took my chances.
Guess time will tell, It's daily driven. The car has seen some pretty hard driving (usually happens when your stuck driving your sister excel for a month) as well as lots of getting into small arse parks at uni and nothings happened yet. Fingers crossed hey!