Powdercoating an Aluminium Radiator?

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
So this is a slightly odd question, but my bright silver Aluminium radiator under my hood has been bothering me a lot, and I wanted to make it black instead.

I read the best way to get a radiator color changed was anodizing, but there are no anodizing shops that seem willing to do it near me here in Minnesota. Several powdercoating shops said they'd be willing, but I'm worried it may not be the best solution. Any ideas or suggestions? For reference, it's a Mishimoto aluminum radiator.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
For just the end tanks, powder coating should work OK as long as its applied correctly (if its not done right it'll chip/flake off :( ) I'd steer clear of the tubes and fins- doing so will reduce the heat exchanging efficiency, making your baller radiator little better than a stocker. I'd also be slightly worried about the heat needed to cure the PC, as there is a possibility that it may affect the sealing of the radiator, or possible warp it, not sure if there's any reason for the worry, though.

Now, this is going to get flamed, but you've seen what I've done to your old Koyo, right? Get a magic marker and be an artist with it- over time it will fade/go away, but you can't beat the price, plus its color-changable. Black Rad with Orange Lettering? BALLER! ;D

GL Emilio! :bigthumb:

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I'd be worried about ruining the heat exchanging efficiency as well. If someone can confirm that it won't hurt that though, what would be stopping you from doing it with a rattle can?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Spray paint and clear coat would work fine. Most stock radiators are painted. But as Steve said too much on the fins would effect the air flow through them. Really only the top tank and maybe the sides is all you need to do. Powder coating would look nice too.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
So it looks like based on that post - the coating shouldn't matter much since it's so thin, I'm mostly worried about the radiator possibly being damaged while it's being coated. The marker and spray can paint ideas have me worried about it looking like crap and not holding up over time. My real end objective is a radiator with the same sort of finish as this:

cooler1.jpg

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
You can get a decent paint job with a spray can, just make sure it's prepped properly and the paint can handle the appropriate amount of heat.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
You will need two cans

p13708.jpg

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-radiator-black-12oz-satin-finish.html