post snow pics here

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
^Well i have a new winter desktop. Looks like so much fun, sadly here we use salt to clear the roads, so that kind of fun in the sup, is out of the question.

te72;1800546 said:
Just curious why you guys have stored your cars with the headlights up?

Mine are up because I fried my headlight control box, and its a pain to wind them up and down.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
They use too much salt here for the supra. Took this one yesterday...winter rally mode for the IS:

DSC_0766.JPG

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
sm_photo_missing.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
enjoyer;1803950 said:

enjoyer;1804003 said:
From all the salt my car seemed to be white, rather than red, but i don't care. A car is ment to be driven in any conditions. I prefer snow the most.
Beautiful picture sir, looks like a lot of fun! Oh, and just be sure to spray off your car (the wheel wells especially) a couple times a month, get that salt off there. Stuff will make your red car look like swiss cheese eventually...

mattsplat72;1804028 said:
I wish I could take mine out, I couldn't get it over 2k with out it stepping out. I am running Falken Zeix 912r's NO traction, This is my winter daily.
Well there's your problem haha... I think you'd get high centered if it snowed more than an inch too! :p

I would suggest a good set of snow tires, or at least a good all-season tire (Goodyear Tripletread Assurance FTW), but I don't think you get much snow there do you?

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I've found that all-season tires are essentially no-season tires. They are too compromised to be exceptionally good in any one particular condition. Compound is too hard and not enough sipes/blocks for winter. They are ok on dry/wet pavement, but that's about it.

Dedicated snow and summer tires is the way to go. ;) Unless you live where there is VERY little to no snow. Then you can generally get away with no-seasons all year.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
MPR;1804699 said:
I've found that all-season tires are essentially no-season tires. They are too compromised to be exceptionally good in any one particular condition. Compound is too hard and not enough sipes/blocks for winter. They are ok on dry/wet pavement, but that's about it.

Dedicated snow and summer tires is the way to go. ;) Unless you live where there is VERY little to no snow. Then you can generally get away with no-seasons all year.
Eh, you'd be surprised... I've driven home in snow that was up to my hood level, must have fallen 10-12" that day. Felt like riding a boat on that drive home...

Then again, I've never driven on pure snow tires either, they might be absolutely amazing for all I know. Given the way it snows here (unpredictably) I've never needed pure winter tires yet.

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
Trust me, there is a huge difference between summer and winter tires. All season tires are pretty much useless. Unless, you're just a moving dot in trafic at low speeds. If it's made to do everything, chances are, that it's gona do ewerything below average. That's not acceptable for me. Serious, high quality tires, made for one purpose ir the way for me.

te72 thanks :). I'm looking forward to this weekend. Planing to do it all over again. It's unimaginable fun.
P.s. it's possible only with REAL winter tyres :)

MPR

Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Snow tires specifically designed for winter/snow/ice, make a HUGE difference in those conditions over all seasons and especially summer tires. It's all in the rubber compound and tread design. My snow tires are still so soft at even -20 degrees C (-4 F), that you can still squish and move the tread blocks with your finger quite easily. This softness allows the snow to vacate the tread (not stick to it) allowing more rubber to surface contact (also allows the tread to dig down and get a better bite). Also the softness along with lots of sipes (tiny cuts), act like little fingers all collectively grabbing the ice for better grip on ice.

All seasons tend to be way too hard in composition and don't have anywhere near enough sipes to be significantly useful in the snow and on ice. Snow tends to stick to the tread more, causing a low friction layer between the tire and the ground, which does not allow the tire to dig down and bite. They tend to "float" on snow rather than digging in.

Snow tires do not make you invincible by any means, but by far increase control and stability in snow ice and cold frozen pavement. One must still drive according to the conditions. It's hilarious to cruise by with ease past all the SUV's in the ditches in my rwd open diff supra. :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I've honestly never had a problem with a winter-appropriate all-season, but I think I'll be getting a set of dedicated snow tires for the Mk2 since the Mk3 is probably seeing it's last winter as we speak. Snow is unpredictable here though, how well do snow tires hold up in above freezing temps and dry pavement? I mean, I pretty much expect to buy new tires every few years anyway, but durability is always good. In my experience, grip and soft tread are often linked, as well as linked to durability...

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
Depends on the compuond. Soft or hard. Soft offers better traction and control ,but wears out faster. You have to choose tires according to your usual local conditions. I'm using Dunlop winter sport 3d's right now. It's the last season for them. I'm looking at Dunlop winter sport 4d or Dunlop Ice sport for the next winter.

MPR

Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Randy87T;1805180 said:
What winter tires do you guys run up north ?

I'm currently running Nexen Winguard 231's. They are less expensive than most but have all the right design components that makes a great winter tire - Soft compound, deep spaced out blocks and lots of sipes. I'm very happy with the performance and have been using this type of winter tire for many years.

A closer look: http://vatafak.com/newtiburon/tire3.JPG

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
te72;1804375 said:
Beautiful picture sir, looks like a lot of fun! Oh, and just be sure to spray off your car (the wheel wells especially) a couple times a month, get that salt off there. Stuff will make your red car look like swiss cheese eventually...

Well there's your problem haha... I think you'd get high centered if it snowed more than an inch too! :p

I would suggest a good set of snow tires, or at least a good all-season tire (Goodyear Tripletread Assurance FTW), but I don't think you get much snow there do you?

183583_10150096243455759_697785758_6803702_7210751_n.jpg
The first day of a three foot event

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
MPR;1804788 said:
Snow tires specifically designed for winter/snow/ice, make a HUGE difference in those conditions over all seasons and especially summer tires. It's all in the rubber compound and tread design. My snow tires are still so soft at even -20 degrees C (-4 F), that you can still squish and move the tread blocks with your finger quite easily. This softness allows the snow to vacate the tread (not stick to it) allowing more rubber to surface contact (also allows the tread to dig down and get a better bite). Also the softness along with lots of sipes (tiny cuts), act like little fingers all collectively grabbing the ice for better grip on ice.

All seasons tend to be way too hard in composition and don't have anywhere near enough sipes to be significantly useful in the snow and on ice. Snow tends to stick to the tread more, causing a low friction layer between the tire and the ground, which does not allow the tire to dig down and bite. They tend to "float" on snow rather than digging in.

Snow tires do not make you invincible by any means, but by far increase control and stability in snow ice and cold frozen pavement. One must still drive according to the conditions.

:thumbup:

Tires make all the difference in the world.