May 26, 2006
Ohio
p419725_1.jpg

riot19

May 26, 2006
Ohio
yrallofthenamestaken said:
what is that? looks interesting^^^

panasonic mxc, im getting a new head unit for christmas. going for a dvd/nav 2-din screen.:love: and all new speakers and sub

SupraBlur

Nov 16, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Couple that I used to have in my previous mk3, still planning what to use this time...

Eclipse 7301
headunit.jpg

Eclipse AV8533
av8533.jpg

Also custom mounted 3-way...
3way.jpg

3way01.jpg

-Ray

Last edited:

SupraBlur

Nov 16, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Well, the new Alpine double-din navigation is really good on paper and has an available ipod interface, but if you want ease of use and clean OEM-looking integration, you can't beat the Eclipse AVN 5495, with integrated 30gb hard drive.

They were discussing new product at SEMA a few weeks ago though, so if you're really in the market for it, I would wait until they unveil the new lineup, which should be demoing around CES time (first week in Jan) and release for the public by Spring.

"Good sound" is kind of a relative term because to an audiophile, they all kind of suck, but you can fix that with a processor like the Alpine PXA-H701 for the Alpine unit, or Rockford 3sixty for anything else. (you can actually use the PXA-H701 on any head unit, but for non-Alpine it requires an additional controller, whereas the Rockford unit uses a Palm device over Bluetooth).

-Ray

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
I dont expect it to sound like our 800 watt 8.1 in the front room, but you know. a crisp decent sound.

I want navigation in my new supra, and connectivity with my ipod. Ill wait to see what CES shows me

SupraBlur

Nov 16, 2006
Hollywood, CA
HellsLegion said:
I dont expect it to sound like our 800 watt 8.1 in the front room, but you know. a crisp decent sound.

I want navigation in my new supra, and connectivity with my ipod. Ill wait to see what CES shows me

If your reference is an 800watt 8.1 system, then most high end navigation units will actually be pretty satisfying, depending on what else is in your system. These days their preamp voltage is pretty decent (compare 5V in AVN5495 to 2V preamp out in the previous AVN2454). But if you want clean ipod integration, you need the Alpine, unless Eclipse betrays their Sony loyalty (Sony is very anti-ipod because of the direct competition with their failed mp3 unit).

Plus the Alpine is easy to expand with the PXA-H701, which gives you a cleaner processor and competition-level adjustment (more than 6 pairs of preamp outputs with independent EQ, active crossover, and time correction). The H701 unit is present in a lot of IASCA Sound Quality-winning setups.

So to me it's a good platform, but you're right it's worth waiting to see what Eclipse has in store before deciding. The Eclipse nav will always be easier to use, it's basically a slightly older version of what is currently OEM in Lexus. According to my friend at Fujitsu-Ten, the next AVN revision will include Sirius satellite traffic and voice activation, which are current features in the new LS460L.

-Ray

SupraBlur

Nov 16, 2006
Hollywood, CA
HellsLegion said:
My sony unit supports my ipod. Using a jack. but none the less, has support. So anything with a headphone cable on the exterior would do me in!

Yes that works too, pretty much all high end head units will have an aux in, but Alpine units allow you to manipulate your ipod on-screen, which is cleaner, safer, and better for audio (since it is digital transfer to the head unit).

-Ray