Possible Clogged Injectors?

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
Lexington, South Carolina
First off, when I bought the Supra it didn't run. I am in the process of putting in a 7mgte and a w58. I recently changed out my fuel pump because it was bad. Once I got that done I had a fuel leak on the rail which was caused by a lose banjo bolt. Today I got the fuel leak fixed, turned it over, pulled out the plug in the #1 cylinder and still didn't smell gas on the plug. My question is, do you guys think it could possibly be clogged injectors? I know the engine has sat up for a little bit of time. Clogged injectors is the only thing that keeps coming to mind. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. If it is indeed the injectors, what are the steps I could take to clean them beings that it's not actually running at the moment? Thanks for any input/advice guys :D.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Can you hear the fuel pump coming on?

Edit: Doh! Fuel leak.

Check the grounds under the intake manifold? (Simple and good place to start.) :)

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
Zumtizzle;1368154 said:
Can you hear the fuel pump coming on?

Edit: Doh! Fuel leak.

Check the grounds under the intake manifold? (Simple and good place to start.) :)

I know those are grounded to the mani because that was the first thing I checked was my grounds. I can check them again, but I am almost certain grounds are not the issue. Any other thoughts/ideas?

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Yes, old gas can turn to varnish, and clog the injectors. Check the injectors with a stethoscope, and if they're firing, they're probably clogged.

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
rayall01;1368235 said:
Yes, old gas can turn to varnish, and clog the injectors. Check the injectors with a stethoscope, and if they're firing, they're probably clogged.

I put fresh gas in the tank before I ever tried to turn it over. Could injectors clog or seize just from sitting??

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
I am going to try to test to ensure my injectors are firing tomorrow. I don't have a mechanical stethoscope, but I heard using a screwdriver on the body of the injector will serve just as good. If my injectors aren't firing at all, then I guess one of my grounds must be missing or loose. I will post in the thread tomorrow after doing some tests.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
primercrx;1368317 said:
I put fresh gas in the tank before I ever tried to turn it over. Could injectors clog or seize just from sitting??

Yes, the fuel in the rail, and in the injector body is what can cause it. New fuel in the tank means nothing. And yes, you can use a screwdriver as a stethoscope, it's just a tad more difficult to use than a real one.

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
Fubar231;1368988 said:
Did you inspect the fuel filter at all...?

No, I haven't inspected the fuel filter at all. I'm not 100% sure where it is located either. The reason I keep suspecting clogged injectors is because I have ample fuel pressure coming into the rail at the top banjo bolt, but I don't have fuel smell on the number one spark plug. (It's the only one I've pulled out to smell.)

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
primercrx;1369217 said:
No, I haven't inspected the fuel filter at all. I'm not 100% sure where it is located either. The reason I keep suspecting clogged injectors is because I have ample fuel pressure coming into the rail at the top banjo bolt, but I don't have fuel smell on the number one spark plug. (It's the only one I've pulled out to smell.)

You should read the post from the link in my previous post as well.

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
Well ladies and gentlemen....I got my first start off my Supra today :D. I was so excited when it came to life. It startled me at first b/c I wasn't expecting it, lol....but when it did...it was music to my ears :D :D :D!!! I tested my injectors and they were all pulsing and met tsrm spec on resistance readings. Reset mechanical timing to tdc and set the cps and she fired right up! I'm excited. I've got some things to button up on it, but at least it runs now!!!