Possible botched clutch install..... Need advise...

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
So, I rebuilt the engine, put the car all back together, take it off the blocks runs nice - purrs like a kitten - ready for the first test drive.

I go to throw it into reverse to back out of the garage and "grrrrrrind......"

Sooooooo.... My long awaited first drive has turned into possibly more wrench pulling to remove the tranny and flip the clutch disk.

Here's the symptoms:

-Push the clutch in, wont go into gear with car running
-Slave is actuating the fork and pulls the throwout bearing, I can watch the fingers on the pressure plate moving.
-Adjusted the clutch pedal free play (quite a chore) it now pushes the arm so far something starts to grind, still no release.

I can see between the fingers of the pressure plate all the way to the splines and it appears that the longer part of the clutch disk hub faces the transmission. Is this the right direction?

Everything fit together so nice going in...

I have searched and found confusing posts and the TSRM is no help.

This is the stock clutch on 7MGTE

Advise?
T-

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Yah, but did I make the mistake or not? If it is flat side toward the motor and the longer hub would then point toward the transmission and if my eyes are not deceiving me (possibly...) I would have it installed correctly.

I'll take a pic and post it up here in a min.

T-

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
So, I am 100% certain the longer end of the hub is pointing toward the transmission, and I can see the springs on the disk... So what else could be wrong here?

Here are some pictures, hard to get good ones in such a confined space....

DSCN1071.jpgDSCN1066.jpgDSCN1063.jpg

T-

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Are the slave and master new or used?

Is there any air in the lines?

Did you bleed the system?

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Yah, bleeding was the first thing I tried. It has plenty of travel. It is the same slave/master that was on before rebuild. The line was never broken.

Last edited:

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
That is perfect, thank you!!!! Excellent link.

I see where I got it wrong now, the center splined hole is not what everyone is talking about then talking orientation, it appears from the picture here that it is the part with the springs that extends out farther.

2012-06-16104412.jpg

I do indeed have it in backwards, thank God it is only going to be 90f today :) I'll be pulling my tranny-

Thanks again for your help!

Terry-

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Agreed :)

I just got the tranny off and flipped the disk, :p now to get it all back together again. Just very glad I dont have to pull the motor again.

An hour and a half and I should have it buttoned up again .