Possible BHG?

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
Do I have a BHG!

Symptoms!

1. White smoke, smelt sweet coming from the intake and plugs!
2. Greenish colored dipstick!
3. Car will not run...at all!

The car died in reverse (89 n/a) and I can't say I had any over heating. It was running for about 5mins when I backed it out and it stalled! Now it will start then die immediately.

-Joe

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
agreed with IJ

you need to fix the headgasket issue.

THEN

you need to flush out the oil system.. THEN. You need to prime the car with oil then hopefully no bearing damage.

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
...I knew it:cry:. Well thanks for verifying this one for me guys. I guess now I have some options to look into like repair, rebuild, swap etc.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I was thinking about the whole bhg situation most owners run into (myself not included) and it's really not that big of an event, unless you do run the vehicle when the coolant is in the oil and cause bearing damage. If you get a bhg, and do not drive it until you fix, all it takes is a day, and you take some odds and ends off the top of the head, replace the headbolts, and replace the headgasket. You'd also probably replace the valvecover gaskets, throttlebody gasket, and maybe some hoses etc, but it will also aid you in doing the regular maintenance finally while you're fixing the bhg. AND if you simply replace with a stock hg and stock bolts the whole ordeal can be over and done with for about $100 and a day of fun.
Enjoy it,
eric

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Stretch: Another take on it would be most Mk3 owners suspect a BHG but are in denial so run around for a few weeks trying all of the bandaids all the while managing to shag the bearings with coolant fix the BHG and a week or so later get Rod Knock :( .

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
IJ thats what I did on my last motor and it was stupid. I only had the car for about a month and only looked under the hood to check the oil and rad 2 times as i just bought the car. Well it started spiking and I figured out how to drive it with out the over heating and Bam one day no spike lost all power cruising down the interstate and had to drive about 10 miles like that well i just decided to do a swap as i got a supra for 50 bucks with a running engine from a local repair shop that I am life long friends with the owner and swapped it out. I now know enough about this engine to take it apart in my sleep and while i do not want to do a head gasket it would take me maybe two days and that includes the head surfaced and check. Really its fun the first time through all the pain and money after its done you have a real since of pride about what you have fixed when others run to a local dealer and take on the payments cause they are just to scared.

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
You guys have the wrong Idea! I didn't drive it around with one! I never knew until it died; no spiking or smoke nothing. In fact it ran like a champ!

The thing when out in reverse the day after it was driven all over town even then I saw no signs of a BHG! Besides it has like 160k+ miles on it so it's only normal for it to go out now after it was in storage! I would never drive around knowing I had a BHG thats just ridiculous!