possable engine moving?

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
Hi all,
A few weeks back, a buddy with me were talking about the high end production cars ut there, from the new and old Nissan GTR, to the honda S2000, to the BMW M series cars, and many more. In that we were talking how it might be possable to improve the effective center of gravity, if we were to make a dry sump system for a 7m, being able to drop the motor down wouldnt seem that hard (motor mounts and like of course), And then came in another Idea, Would it be possable to tilt the motor over to the passanger side as to trying to bring the center of gravity again closer to the ground and center the car.

What might you guys think of what might be wrong with doing so? i mean internally for the motor? and with such a set up, a dry sump pan like that, (as ive seen on the BMWs). And if all else possible (trans, driveline, ect) what else might you all see wrong with this?

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
There isnt much room. If you tilt it too far the centerline of the tail end of the transmission will be off. Not to mention the shifter will be sideways without some kind of adapter plate.

Best you could lower the engine is about 2-3 inches. The oil pan is already thin as it can be at the crossmember.

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
well if i do put in an adaptor plate, so i wouldnt have to worrie about the trans side and keep it all strait, i think it could be possable droped even more maybe, and if it was done with a dry sump system.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You'd need an entirely new bellhousing since the starter has to be in a certain place. Overall, don't think it's a wise idea since the engine wasn't designed that way.