porting ?????

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
just wondering........... is there any benefit to porting a 7m exhaust manifold? i did this to an eclipse i had, and it helped. also, what about the intake manifolds?
just looking for small things i can do while the motor is apart. :icon_bigg

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Not even neccesary unless you're aiming for big hp numbers. For what it costs it isn't worth it unless you want like 800hp or something which would require a t4 becuase our manifold ported can't even handle that.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Small things to do would be to clean everything, get parts and screws re-zinced, tuck wires, get AN fittings to make it look cleaner. Paint things, those are the little simple things.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i'm already polishing everything i can get my hands on. i like shiny stuff. lol
i'm just trying to get everything i can out of the parts i have, and from the a ct based turbo. i was just wondering if port matching the intake and exhaust would help at all.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
cool. like i said, i was trying to help the car make some more power. :)
when i build my spare motor i plan on going all out. forged internals, bc 264 cams, head porting etc...
right now i'm putting together a "stock" motor. i want to see what kind of times i can run with what i have now. i guess i just want to see what the stock limits are.
thanks for the replies guys.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
As stated before, porting the intake can make some gains. Porting the exhaust is pointless IMO.

I am going to be porting my head myself, but that is because I am planning on large numbers.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
cool. my engine guy said i could "clean up" the intake, i wasn't sure about the exhaust. i don't trust myself to do the head, i'll leave that to the experts. :)
unfortunately, he said he has 24 hours in my buddies 7m head. :( he's running a big t4 turbo, 272 cams, forged internals, etc... he's shooting for 7-800 hp.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Best to match port the intake side of the head along with manifold and gasket.

Porting and polishing would be good gains too.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Porting the exhaust manifold will indeed make more power, but not on a stock CT26. Before good, cheap aftermarket T4 manifolds showed up, people would run bolt on T4 style turbos which all but required porting the manifold.

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
I did port out the exhaust manifold and it helped alot. The biggest issue with the stock exhaust manifold is the studs for the heat shield. These studs go all the way to the passage ways and leave small lumps that cause turbulence. These can be ground out when porting. Then the studs need to be rewelded from the outside. I'm shooting for 600rwhp on a stock/ported exhaust manifold.