Popping sound when applying brakes...

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Not too often do I have serious problems with the Supra...But this one is starting to worry me.

When getting my new wheels put on last weekend, I noticed that it pulled to the left slightly...but I don't think that has anything to do with my problem now...(Just thought I'd throw it out there FYI).

Anyways, Yesterday, I got into my car, started driving, was approaching the first intersection, and as soon as I hit the brakes, I hear a "DUNK" that was kind of loud that came from the front-left area. I didn't know what I did, so I proceeded through the intersection and now what sounded like my brakes was going "chhh-chhh-chhhh" like sqeaky brakes would do. The squalling sound was only made when my wheels were spinning, but even if I was rolling to the slightest bit, it made the squalling sound. :icon_conf

Now I've noticed that if I hit a big group of bumps in the road or accelerate hard (so that my front end comes up nice and good), after the bumps or hard acceleration, the sound goes away, but as soon as I tap the brakes, "DUNK" again. What in THEE hell is this?

Wheel bearing? I don't think so. It doesn't make sounds when the wheel is turned all the way.
Brakes? Couldn't be. Just replaced them a few weeks ago and have worked fine.
Suspension? I don't know about that one...It's pretty bad and bouncy and sways everywhere...I've ALWAYS hated driving it on the interstate because it needs new shocks and sits REALLY high in the front. Well, tell me what you guys think. Thank ya. :)

Jeff

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
My wheel bearing never made sounds with it turned all the way either it was still bad though.
Check all your brake mount hardware you might have to retighten it. One of my torque plate bolts fell out when I was driving one day, that was fun. :runaway:
Did you bleed the brakes when you switched? Bad fluid?
Just everything, suspension seems kinda random to me sometimes.
Replace your shocks and look around while you're down there.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
I'll be getting all new upgraded suspension here in the near future because right now, my car looks like its going to take off into the air when I got WOT. :)

When I said I changed the brakes, I should've just stated that I changed my caliper pads only. :(

TurboSupra7

Apr 9, 2005
Olathe, Kansas
man that's weird I have been dealing with the same problem for the past few weeks, and I also just recently changed my brake pads (didn't replace or turn the rotors) and I used really cheap brake pads. Maybe it'll go away with all new brakes....?

edit: it's odd cuz mine is also on the front left corner...

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
When that happened to me it was my left front ball joint, now the rights doing it so I am getting new bushing, ball joint, shocks, springs and sway bars, tired of fixing random crap gonna redo whole deal.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Okay....I figured out the problem of the scraping sound....
Well, sort of. I jacked up the front and spun the wheel.
It made that sound and it was very clear that something was under the caliper or something...

And then, I grabbed my wheel and tried to wiggle it and there is a "LITTLE" bit of play....So I'm thinking it's my ball joint. I didn't have the key to take off the wheel at the moment, so I didn't have a chance to pull apart everything, but can I get a "2nd That" if they think it's my ball joint?

:)

Ninja Edit:: How hard is it to change the Bawl Joynt? ;)

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
WOW. WOW. WOW. I figured out the problem today as me and my buddy were driving in my Supra down the road...Hit the brakes, and instead of hearing the "pop" sound...I heard, "pop pshhhhhhhhhhhhh". I get to his house, he puts it in Reverse(in his driveway), I watch the brake, and as soon as he starts rolling backwards, the entire top half of the caliper FALLS off the rotor, and no popping sound when he applied the brakes. Then, he comes forward, and as soon as it starts creeping forward, the caliper lifts up CLOSER to the rotor, and as soon as he barely touches the brake, the caliper SUCKS back up onto the rotor and thats when it popped (from hitting it) and then the squeaking started again(squeaking was it scraping on the rotor)....

So...the mysterious sounds make perfect sense, now. Ball joint? Nope. :icon_conf. I am waiting for my friend to bring me this special tool for my lugnuts, take it off, and see what kind of damage I've done. I hope I'm not spending too much money otherwise I'm not going to Chi2k6. :cry: