polyurethane suspension bushings huge noise

QuebecmkIII

Jan 27, 2009
quebec
Hi,
Last year I got a new full set of polyurethane suspension bushings made by ronniek (the red tight one) and at the same time I changed the rear subframe bushing kit (the yellow one). After the installation all was nice and good.
The problem is that recently, the squiz squiz sound became "huge" and unlivable, it's not just a squiz, it's like a big tac tac tac...
First time I thinking the fuck is the suspension so I got a new set of tein flex coilover but finaly the sound is the same. At the moment a jack the car, the sound is very audible and I can see the wheel go down in flick like a clock hand. I tryed to grease a lot the front tab bush but anything change. I also tryed to unscrew a little that long bolt torqued to 121 ft-lbs and after, no sound all became good. the sound came from the suspension bushes that is compressed.
So I'm very fuck-up, what to do with that... I'm not felling safe to lower the torquespec of the suspensions componements.

I supose it's not normal but does somebody have a problem like that with polyurethane suspension bushings?

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
I dont have the problem, because I am in the middle of replacing all the bushing right now.

Question - did you grease the bushings prior to installiing them?
Also, the Ronnie bushings are not made with graphite in them, so I think your supposed to install a grease zerk to periodiacally grease the bushings.

Not sure that any of this is helpfull, but just my thoughs as I read the post.

Good luck

Steve

QuebecmkIII

Jan 27, 2009
quebec
steve_mk3;1863726 said:
I dont have the problem, because I am in the middle of replacing all the bushing right now.

Question - did you grease the bushings prior to installiing them?
Also, the Ronnie bushings are not made with graphite in them, so I think your supposed to install a grease zerk to periodiacally grease the bushings.

Not sure that any of this is helpfull, but just my thoughs as I read the post.

Good luck

Steve

Yea the bushing was greased at the installation, and I only run 1000 milles with them...

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Have you pulled the bushing apart and greased the metal dowel that fits in the center? Poly bushings are notorious for being noisy, and alot of people go back to the factory bushings because of it.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
What kind of grease did you use? Normal grease won't last long, you should use special polurethane bushing grease. Energy Suspension sells it. You still need to pull and clean/repack the bushings yearly though or they'll wear out or squeak. That is if you don't have grease fittings of course. I don't. I didn't want to drill holes in the control arms and create a weak spot.

Did you put the washers on the right way? The "cone" points toward the bushing, if you put them on backwards they will fit too tightly and pinch the bushing. That's probably what is causing the squeak now since it's been such a short time.

QuebecmkIII

Jan 27, 2009
quebec
destrux;1863841 said:
Did you put the washers on the right way? The "cone" points toward the bushing, if you put them on backwards they will fit too tightly and pinch the bushing. That's probably what is causing the squeak now since it's been such a short time.

Hooo, I will check that first, it's possible that I installed the washer on the wrong side like you said... that make sense, if you put the cone toward, the washer will be more oriented on the sleeve in the center and letting more free the polyurethane.

Ok so finaly it's "normal" to grease periodically the poly bush, I just did not know at all.:icon_roll (it is not very convenient in my opinion)
Big thank for the help

QuebecmkIII

Jan 27, 2009
quebec
3p141592654;1863797 said:
Have you pulled the bushing apart and greased the metal dowel that fits in the center? Poly bushings are notorious for being noisy, and alot of people go back to the factory bushings because of it.
No I just greased the bushing in the tab... that make me sick to pull the bush out. Next time, I will take the oem bushings to save me some waste of time.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
QuebecmkIII;1863860 said:
Ok so finaly it's "normal" to grease periodically the poly bush, I just did not know at all.:icon_roll (it is not very convenient in my opinion)
Big thank for the help
The Supra is one of the only cars I have seen that do not require periodic greasing of the bushings. I had an SS Camaro a few years ago (2001) that I did not realize required greasing the bushings. After a while, it began to squeak quite a bit. Inconvenient, sure, but it gives you an excuse to get under the car and check that all is well down there. ;)

sylquebec

Mar 23, 2008
Quebec
I want to shime in the post since its my friend and his car was in my garage last weekend. We are not only talking about a huge noise here, but the wheel not being able to move freely. When you jack the car, the wheel move by step, not constantly. The wrong side washer theory will need to be check for sure.