please prove me wrong...

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
I was enjoying a nice drive to work when i noticed my oil pressure was below normal. so i put some oil in and drive off to work again. 2 blocks from the auto part store the car begins to buck and starts to smoke. Like a chimney. i pull over check to see if theres pressure in the coolant system and theres none. i towed it home, checked again for coolant leaks or bhg. theres none. i pulled off the intake tube to the turbo assembly and had massive shaft play. i replaced the turbo assembly and it ran great for 20min. the newer turbo had virtually no shaft play, which gave me the idea that the seals were still good. i gave it one good rev and oil begins to spray out of the oil dip tube. i'm thinking massive blow by. compression test reads

cyl 1 ~ 120psi
cyl 2 ~ 180psi
cyl 3 ~ 153psi
cyl 4 ~ 150psi
cyl 5 ~ 120psi
cyl 6 ~ 180psi

should i start pricing rings?

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
starscream5000 said:
Was this a hot compression test? Or dead cold?

How exactly did you test for BHG?

warm engine not quite to full temp. i used a pressure tester that goes where the radiator cap does. you pressurize the cooling system then crank it. if water is leaking into a cylinder, it will shoot out of the plug hole like a water fountain.

I'm running a copper head gasket with a steel o-ring on the head.

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
yeah, i can see about doing a leak down test this week end. I've been driving the car for a few weeks now. roughly put on 1300 miles. has arp head studs set at 90ft-lbs. copper crushed thickness of .050

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Was the gasket annealed before it was fitted?

Never had much luck with Copper on water cooled motors can usually only ever get 1 part to seal they either leak fluids or combustion and sometimes both ;)

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
IJ. said:
Was the gasket annealed before it was fitted?

Never had much luck with Copper on water cooled motors can usually only ever get 1 part to seal they either leak fluids or combustion and sometimes both ;)

yes. used spray hylomar. works great. i just need to figure out where the oil is coming from, thats causing it to burn. one part of me feels it could be the rings, but i don't think thats the complete problem. could i have cracked the head?

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
okay, leak-down test done. cyl #1 is leaking through air to my intake and into the pan. cyl #5 isn't leaking, or loosing pressure now. but, cyl# 4 is leaking through intake.

could i have used too thick of a shim on cylinders 1 & 4? could i be loosing pressure in cyl # 5 when shims are loaded with oil?

pressure test was done while engine was cold. 50ish degrees outside.