pistons for NA?

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
Is it worth it to get new pistons for a NA or would i just be blowing my money away? If its not what would be a good company to go with?
Input and feedback would be awesome!

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The stock pistons are rather robust, even for low boost applications. The only reasons I could think of for swapping them is if they're damaged, you're planning on going N/A-T and want to be able to run a higher boost OR you want to bump up the compression.

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
CRE said:
The stock pistons are rather robust, even for low boost applications. The only reasons I could think of for swapping them is if they're damaged, you're planning on going N/A-T and want to be able to run a higher boost OR you want to bump up the compression.

I am planning on going NA-T. But not right now. I am going to rebuild the engine (take eveything apart put in new rings and bearings whatnot) So with that said would it be worth getting new pistons. Will there be a noticed change in HP if i do it? Meaning would it be worth the money to it now....OR should i just wait when i go NA-T, THEN do it? suggestion on pistons people really like and have experince with. Also stock rods should be fine aswell right?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You didn't rebuild an engine if you did not replace the pistons and overbore. That is the basis of a rebuild. If you hone and rering, then that is a hone and rering. If you replace bearings, then you replaced bearings. It isn't a rebuild.

Have the rods rebuilt while it is apart. The machine shop can help you quite a bit. They will remove the piston from the rod, rebuild the rod, and rebore the block to each individual cylinder. You just have reassemble.

How many miles?

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
He can't bother with na-t with an un rebuilt jdm. He'll blow it apart and have rod dings on the outside of his hood.

You cat's can't just plug and play with jdm, why??? exactlly you don't know how many miles any of that engine has. Are these the only engines available to us or something is that why everyone buys so many of them???

It's almost better to give toyota 2.5k for a new block and and build it from the ground up. OR www.jasperengines.com .

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
JDM engines are cheap...its a roll of the dice if they will work or not. mine didnt so now the rebuild begins....also whats invloved when they rebore the engine?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I wouldn't say you "can't" go N/A-T with a JDM engine... I sure as hell wouldn't recommend it though. Even if the engine is low mileage, you have absolutely no idea how much is was beat up, whether it was ever oil starved, or if it sat in a yard for two years rusting while all the seals dried up and cracked. I'll take a rebuilt USDM 7M over a JDM block, anyday.

Since you've already got a JDM block I'd say it's time to start searching for a good local shop with 7M experience and perhaps start stripping the block for the rebuild. A good shop will be able to check out the block and various clearances. They'll be able to tell you what you *need* and what you should have done.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I know, and I agree COMPLETELY! Just didn't want someone freaking out about the difference between "can't" and "don't waste you're time and money trying, because you're far more likely to end up rebuilding it afterwards you damned nooB". :naughty:

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
well im taking the engine apart and putting a new HG in and new rod bearings.. and replace anything else that looks bad and/or worn out. wouldnt that be enuff to go NA-T?

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Is there any particular reason you have chosen na/t over the 7m-gte swap???

Or do you just preferr to do things the hard way. The ge and gte block have differences because one is built for your goal and one isn't.

Just drive safely.

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
Very good question. No not really. I was just seeing it as an option later on down the road but i guess what you guys are saying is "its not worth it"
but I would like to know if its worth it to buy upgraded pistons for an NA. Or just a waste of money.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Dude.., I'm not saying it isn't worth it. Because the value of the car is assessed by the current owner. But for the same price you can go 7mgte and not have to mess with new na/t oil lines and egr block offs and any other commonly associated headache.

Wich in the end with the na/t you still end up with a bastard engine, that is probably less desired than a clean 7mge.

You have options. Don't lock yourself into a situation without doing all of the leg work. It's you that will pay for it in the end..., just as the rest of us will.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Sorry pistons. If your'e going to upgrade pistons that means you'll be sending your block to a machine shop to have it fully resurfaced. May as well bore it out.

Everyone talks down on the ge but it's not as slow as some people think.
Especially if you do all of the mods that you can to it. It's a fun ride.