Piston ring gap

suprarenz

Mar 3, 2008
nj
Started gapping my piston rings.I'm using a summit piston ring filer and was wondering about the filed side of ring being square. Squeezed ring together and held up to light noticed that my file job wasn't exactly perfectly square.Very tiny tiny amount of light showed me this. Gap itself is perfect at .016 for top ring as per je piston instructions of bore x .0050 for top ring. my bore size 3.287 x .0050 = .016. Is this acceptable or did I mess up already, two rings into process.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I use 4 thou per inch of bore for top rings and 5 thou per inch for the 2nd ring, if it's going to be a 500RWHP build I'll add 4 thou to each total to stop it nipping up a ring when pushed hard.

As long as the ends are squarish and not 40/10 thou gap it should be ok, remember to dress up the filed ends with a stone or a diamond file.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
I used IJ's recommendation with great success. top ring at .017, 2nd .021 and oil at .016-.017. Only used WD40 to lube pistons. That was with 0.5mm or 0.020'' oversized pistons.

suprarenz

Mar 3, 2008
nj
You guys are awesome!!!!!!!! Loven the input and i have to tell you I've already mess up on a ring cut too much off. Have to get in touch with je and order new ring.
Guys my build is going to be a basic beginner first time build will using your recommendations make it easier to upgrade later??? Hope this isn't a crazy ???

suprarenz

Mar 3, 2008
nj
IJ thanks for quick response to pm. The build is on slow track to completion thanks to you. I'm sure I'll be bothering you again in near future, til then thanks hope you'll be available.