Picture of heater core?

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
Hey all like the title says, I could use a picture of the stock heater core. Specifically the hook ups for the coolant. I got a replacement one and Id rather see if its the same before I rip the dash out. Thanks!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Here ya go... This is the one I removed... the pipes that go thru the firewall connect at these nipples. Notice a good, well-defined ridge, where the stock c-clip attaches (my replacement had poor/weak ridges). The c-clip grabs the ridges on the pipe and on the heater core fitting, tightening on the o-ring a little bit. When the heater core comes out, it will have the 2 stock pipes attached to the plastic housing via clamps/brackets.

heatercore.jpg

heatercore1.jpg

heatercore2.jpg

juncboi

Yeah, snooping around.
Jan 31, 2009
Sacramento
Cool pics. This is the first time I have ever seen a heater core out of an MKIII.

SATAN: How long did it take you to get that sucker out of there?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
About 90 minutes... However, reinstalled the replacement and still have most the dash still out. Rewired/hid alarm and did some other wiring cleanup. Weather and a starting issue delayed the re-install, but I'm gonna get it all together today.

When you go to do yours, think about all the things you may want to do "while U R there," before pullig the dash off. Foglight rewire, climate control relo, run aftermarket speaker wire, etc, etc.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Satan;1670404 said:
About 90 minutes... However, reinstalled the replacement and still have most the dash still out. Rewired/hid alarm and did some other wiring cleanup. Weather and a starting issue delayed the re-install, but I'm gonna get it all together today.

When you go to do yours, think about all the things you may want to do "while U R there," before pullig the dash off. Foglight rewire, climate control relo, run aftermarket speaker wire, etc, etc.

Great advice btw.... I would certainly plan a full 2 days worth of work behind the dash before going back there... Or "pre" wire things

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
yeah I plan on doing some work that is long over due. It seems like my new heater core looks damaged when it came it. The longer tube that comes out of it is ovaled at its end and the lip is bent too. I havent heard anything back from this company either. Ill post up pictures later

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Gonna enjoy some superbowl today, so have not reinstalled dash. One of the things I will try to do, is create/install a power distribution block and another for ground. That way if adding something later, I can just tap into this centralized location and have power/grounds (switched/constant 12v) as needed. I am adding a high output alternator later and should take advantage to lay some groundwork/infrastructure.

Any ideas/suggestions/examples for doing this? Doesn't have to be pretty, since it will be behind the dash, but have to make sure it's solid and I can count on it later.