Picture of 89+ Mid-area speakers?

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Hello everyone, I have a 1990 Supra and I've been looking into upgrading my sound system.

I know right now that I have 4" in the front and the 5"-ish in the back, but I keep reading about 3.5" "mid" speakers. Does anyone have pictures of the speakers while installed in the car? I don't know how to reach them or even what they look like. Thanks for the help!

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
I don't think Toyota meant for these speakers to be replaceable. I ripped off that covering to try to get to mine, they aren't meant to be replaced, as the panel covering it doesn't just "snap" off, I had to break mine. And I believe they're free air speakers.

-Matt

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
I took off a lot of interior trim pieces to look at those speakers, they are 3.5" open air speakers. I listened to mine and they were not blown so I left them in when upgrading the other 4. If you are getting a nice set up leave them in but disconnect the wires (easier), if you got cheap replacement speakers like me, just leave them in because the are wired to the rears in series.

Main_134.gif

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
If you know how to glass i would say that you could glass a nice 6.5 in there. If not just get some 3.5's with a good tweet. I have found that when it comes to 3.5's bass is neglegable.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
OfnaRcR4 said:
If you know how to glass i would say that you could glass a nice 6.5 in there. If not just get some 3.5's with a good tweet. I have found that when it comes to 3.5's bass is neglegable.

3.5"s provide NO bass, only high-range fill (they're usually crossed-over above 160Hz, sometimes as high as 500Hz). I'd just take them out and do completely without them (I've always hated cars that have more than 4 speaker locations, as they're usually the shittiest speakers in the worst possible sizes placed in horrible locations... Unless you're driving a mini/full-sized van or a boat of a car, 4 good quality speakers in good locations is all you need). Go 4-channel with decent speakers and you'll be much better off, or go 2-channel (front only) with good speakers, a good headunit, amp and a sub and you'll be set.

Last edited:

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
theprodigy79 said:
3.5"s provide NO bass, only high-range fill (they're usually crossed-over above 160Hz, sometimes as high as 500Hz). I'd just take them out and do completely without them (I've always hated cars that have more than 4 speaker locations, as they're usually the shittiest speakers in the worst possible sizes placed in horrible locations... Unless you're driving a mini/full-sized van or a boat of a car, 4 good quality speakers in good locations is all you need). Go 4-channel with decent speakers and you'll be much better off, or go 2-channel (front only) with good speakers, a good headunit, amp and a sub and you'll be set.

neg·li·gi·ble (něg'lĭ-jə-bəl) Pronunciation Key
adj. Not significant or important enough to be worth considering; trifling.
But yeah i see what you mean.
Kind of hard to find a quality 3.5 tho.:aigo:

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Hahaha To clarify, I wasn't disputing you bro, just emphasizing that they produce nada (as negligible implies that there is at least something).:icon_razz