Pics of rear hatch area - Sub box/Amp

Jonnymkiii

High Altitude
Mar 31, 2005
Boulder, Co
Ok... late last year I built a template for my rear hatch area. I wanted to design a rear hatch template that had an amp enclosure, had access to the spare tire and maintained access to the side storage areas and panels (Little black storage tray area). But above all, I wanted something unique - I'm not saying this hasn't been done before, but if it has, I haven't seen it. I'm hesitant to post pics of my car, but what the hell...

Disclosure: Just got car back from shop, so not as clean as I would like.

Picture 1: This is the front of my sub box - half of it anyway. I built this circa Spring 2001.

Picture 2: This is the rear hatch area with carpet covering template. The box allows the targa to fit. I have to fix it thought... it's too high now - the template I built raised it up a bit.

Picture 3: Behold, my rear hatch template. It's in two sections: The right side is fixed and houses the amp. The left side can be removed to access the spare tire.

Picture 4: IMO this is pretty cool... IF the radio is on AND IF the hatch is open, neon tubes light up the amp.

Picture 5: This kind of shows access to the hidden compartment... it's lifted up in the pic, but when closed it's flush and you can't even tell it's a door. This allows you to access the side light and power antenna compartment. The left side one has the same function. The hinges were recessed in the wood so not to bulge, and there is a support plate on the bottom side to allow it to support weight.

I ran out of picture downloads, so I'll continue in the next post.

Attachments

• Sub - half face.JPG
    Sub - half face.JPG
    546.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Hatch area.JPG
    Hatch area.JPG
    515.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Hatch template exposed 1.JPG
    Hatch template exposed 1.JPG
    548.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Amp glow.JPG
    Amp glow.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 27
  • Right hidden compartment.JPG
    Right hidden compartment.JPG
    697 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Jonnymkiii

High Altitude
Mar 31, 2005
Boulder, Co
Picture 1: This shows the left side removed, allowing access to the spare tire. The wood block provides support for what ever I put in the rear hatch area. I may paint it or replace it w/ something later.

Picture 2 and 3: These show the side of the amp enclosure box. I had a lot of work in-progress pictures when building all this, but my hard drive crashed and I lost 'em. Anyhoo, you can't see everything from these pics, but you can see some. Here is how it's set up. I have two fans, an IN and OUT fan. The OUT fan is on the other side, opposite corner. This allows cool air to enter and hot air to exit. You can see the clear neon tube power box (neon tubes are inside the box on each end). You can also see one of the two power relay boxes. Relay 1: Provides amp and fans with power when radio is on. Relay 2: Provided neon w/ power when radio is on and hatch open.

Picture 4:You'll also notice two little wooden squares in pic 2 & 3... there are 4 total. The wood blocks are attached to the top part of the box (the carpeted part). The top then fits over the amp enclosure and is secured by bolts from the inside of the box. You can see the bolts from this picture (Looking inside amp box). I drilled out the blocks and screwed in a threaded metal guide for the bolts.

So that's the basics of what I did. At some point I'll post more details pics if anyone is interested. Currently I'm working on the interior and am waiting on some parts before I can finish. When I do, I'll post those as well.. I think as a whole, it'll be different than anything else out there that I've seen.

Attachments

• Spare tire access.JPG
    Spare tire access.JPG
    608.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Side of amp box.JPG
    Side of amp box.JPG
    482.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Side of amp box 2.JPG
    Side of amp box 2.JPG
    572.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Amp enclosure - Bolts for top.JPG
    Amp enclosure - Bolts for top.JPG
    454.7 KB · Views: 19

Jonnymkiii

High Altitude
Mar 31, 2005
Boulder, Co
Yep, that was the #1 goal with the speaker box. The rear of the box is higer with the template, so I may built another one at some point. However, the targa still fits, it's just a little tight, so it's nothing I'm worried about at the moment.