pics of fuel cell installs

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
anyone got pics of fuel cell installs? cusrious to if anyone cut through the floor in the rear and maybe stretched the bottom of the spare tire well further across and mounted the cell lower, or if they just mounted it in the back

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
I'll have to get you some good pics

I built an aluminum box and mounted mine in the trunk floor after cutting it all out. I made a new flat sheet metal hatch floor, cut the hole for the cell, sealed it and bolted it in. The inside of the car looks stock.

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
gixxer750;927805 said:
I'll have to get you some good pics

I built an aluminum box and mounted mine in the trunk floor after cutting it all out. I made a new flat sheet metal hatch floor, cut the hole for the cell, sealed it and bolted it in. The inside of the car looks stock.

ok thanks, i was up in limbo on sumping the oem tank, but i think it will be best in the long run to just drop a fuel cell in and would like to see some examples

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
try filling up at a gas station without having people look at you crazy. better yet, you better make sure you look out for a cop, as a fuel cell is illegal in all 50 states for highway use. Looks mighty strange when you are filling up in the hatch.

Its hell to make the fuel gauge work, and you will always wonder if there may be a hole about to be rubbed through the cell.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
gixxer750;929506 said:
you better make sure you look out for a cop, as a fuel cell is illegal in all 50 states for highway use. Looks mighty strange when you are filling up in the hatch.

are you sure? I've seen quite a few in muscle cars and the cops don't seem to care...

I'm sure if you could figure out a way to use the stock filler neck it would be better...

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
i think it's the fact that they're not DOT approved, even though a good fuel cell installed properly could be safer than an oem fuel tank, especially a bladder cell.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I bought at 15 gallon ATL fuel cell with foam, bladder, surge tank and two walbro 255lph pumps. I mounted it by cutting out the hatch floor and making a frame out of 1x1x0.120 tubing. In my opinion, there is no reason to put a fuel cell in your car unless you get one similiarly equipped to mine.

DSC00673.jpg

DSC00677.jpg

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
bit the bullet today and got an RCI fuel cell. this will help remove some extra weight and it's going to be safer if the car flips or something at the track

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Is the RCI cell you bought 18-20ga steel with a seamless bladder? A ton of people buy the plastic or aluminum ones thinking they're getting the same benefits.