Petition to Change U.S. Vehicle Import Laws

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
Please put your signature where your mouth is and sign it. If you don't already have a whitehouse.gov account, you will have to sign up for one, but it's limited information and it's quick as they just need your address and a working email account that you can respond from.

Title of the Petition:
Stop using Homeland Security funds to seize imported vehicles, and change the DOT/EPA exemption to 15 years.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitio...and-change-dotepa-exemption-15-years/L50BZzwj

Here are the details of the petition:
The Department of Homeland Security spends a shockingly disproportionate amount of its budget not on security initiatives, but on customs seizures. In particular, importers of grey-market vehicles have been targeted by monies taxpayers have intended to be used to secure our country against terrorism and terrorist activity. We call upon the Executive Branch to immediately cease this wasteful activity, and furthermore to change the DOT/EPA exemption time on grey-market vehicles from 25 years to 15 years (to match the vehicle regulations of Canada), recognizing that the 25-year rule was enacted due to support from special interests such as Mercedes Benz North America.

Please post on other forums, Facebook, and Twitter to get 25k.​

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Signed. I think it's silly that Homeland Security has had any part of the whole automotive side of things...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Look at the bright side of this, reducing the gray market import rule to 15 years like Canada will certainly benefit the enthusiast market. Anything that could bring business to our country in a positive light is alright by me. Maybe not so much the initial investment in the cars themselves (which would likely be going to another country), but you pay taxes on those cars, buy parts for them, etc...

Actually, looking at it like that, it would only benefit the enthusiast I think. Oh well, fine by me.