perma-cool fan kit

boost_victim

Mar 31, 2005
here
myspace.com
I'm looking at buying a 16" perma-cool fan seeing if i can get some feedback if any body has use them. It pushes 2950 cfm w/ a 16" x 16" x 3-3/4" setup. they also offer a 14" x 3-3/4" that pushes 2950 cfm. found them cheap. my freinds runnig one on his 400hp sr20 he put in his 240sx. it's a 12"(1650cfm) though. i figure that the 14 or 16 would be a beter buy.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I tried the 14" perma-cool fan on my car. I installed mine during the cool months of fall time. I worked fine through fall, winter, and early spring. Once summer time was nearing I noticed my temperature was slowly climbing. Then during summer it would spike into the red part. I took off the perma-cool and went back to the stock unit. Never had that problem ever since. After the perma-cool sat in the hatch for almost a year I threw away in the trash. I wish I would have kept it. I could have sold it to someone, or just put it back on during the fall and winter. You have to understand that here in San Antonio, Tx. it gets hot as hell during the summer. It's 100+ degrees everyday, so that fan could not keep up with stop and go driving. Those fans usually work for those that live in a milder climate. That's my experience with it. Others have had success with them.

Something else I've noticed was the perma-cool does not draw nowhere near the airflow as the stock set up. When the car would warm up enough to kick on the fan, or activate the fan clutch you could tell the difference big time. That prolly explains why it didn't work that well for me. 2950 cfm numbers sound great on paper, but when it's on your car while you're at a stoplight in 105degree summer heat that number doesn't seem to perform to good. Like I said, that was my experience. Hopefully you'll have better luck with yours if you decide to go that route. Good luck.

boost_victim

Mar 31, 2005
here
myspace.com
Did you direct wire it to the ACC or did you wire it some other way? We wired my freinds FAL twin setup on ACC and he never had a problem. Except when we used the wrong fuse size:icon_frow. I planed on wiring it to where its on all the time and still leave in my 2 small fans.

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
mine worked great and i had it wired to a switch so i could turn it on once the car was warm, never had a problem
after the turbo, intercooler, and radiator upgrade it still worked fine untill summer came and i wanted to run my a/c. (that is a lot of aluminum to pull air through) i live on the gulf coast so it is HOT and HUMID, my temps would climb to about 108-110 celcius on the greddy guage and i would turn off the a/c. but the fan is a great product and flows like 1950cfm (i think) now i am back to the stock fan and haven't had a problem yet

great fan for stock or not highly modded supra, and great fan for your other car or truck

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
now what temp is the vagina?
i went from a perma cool set up,back to stock.it failed miserably,and now i'm going back to elc. with a aluminum shroud .got a new clutch fan and blade for sale too,both new,less than 30 min on them.

chandley

mkIII owner
Apr 27, 2006
SoCal
IJ. said:
Electric fan effectivness = Vagina filled with Cold water.....;)
(ie: not worth a **** full of cold water)

I disagree.. I'm 100% happy with my FAL fans. I've got dual 220's. They were easy to intstall, and wire. And they turn on exactly when I want them too. The only time I've over-heated was when I blew my HG. Electric fans are awesome! and you don't have anoyying whoosh everytime you rev the engine.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
I had pretty much the same experience as Noah. Before the intercooler upgrade and without AC the Permacool worked awesome. Even the large radiator couldn't help in the summer though. No problems with it on my N/A in the summer with AC. It's just too close to the ragged edge of cooling for a modded turbo.

At idle the Permacool pulled more air then the stock fan. Unfortunately it doesn't pick up speed as the RPM's go up like the stock one does.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I don't like my dual FAL's because my car doesn't get hot enough while driving to turn them on. Wasted $200 or w/e for elec fans that are only on 20% of the time I drive. Then again I don't have the wall of aluminum like you guys do, No IC->AC->Radiator crapp like you guys do, just a straight shot ->Radiator-> for me. No turbo to warm the engine bay/coolant up any extra either.

Are you guys talking Elec fans on Stock Rad, or with an aftermarket?

Stock Rad I'd go stock fan, but if you go after market I'd pick elec.

chandley

mkIII owner
Apr 27, 2006
SoCal
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
I don't like my dual FAL's because my car doesn't get hot enough while driving to turn them on. Wasted $200 or w/e for elec fans that are only on 20% of the time I drive. Then again I don't have the wall of aluminum like you guys do, No IC->AC->Radiator crapp like you guys do, just a straight shot ->Radiator-> for me. No turbo to warm the engine bay/coolant up any extra either.

Are you guys talking Elec fans on Stock Rad, or with an aftermarket?

Stock Rad I'd go stock fan, but if you go after market I'd pick elec.

Do you have the little box that you can turn the knob to make the fans go on at the temperature you want?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Yes, and even set all the way to low they still do not kick on very often. If I let the car sit at idle for 10 mins or so, they will kick on for about 15-30 seconds and kick off... wait a few mins and do the same thing. I'd rather just have them on all the time (once a certain temp was reached) and then maybe stay on after the car was off for a minute or so.

*edit*
And adding water-wetter made it even worse. lol

chandley

mkIII owner
Apr 27, 2006
SoCal
haha.... thats just silly. Did you turn the knob the right way? My friend made the mistake. When we installed it, he did that, we waited like 20 mins and they still hadn't turned on, I turned it the other way and they came on.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Yeah, I held the probe next to a lighter w/ it turned one way, then turned it the other and it kicked on. let it cool and did it again, so I guess it's the right way.

Also, when the car is warm and the fans are actually on it seriously goes from "omfg thats hot" at the top of the rad to "hey, thats barely warm" at the bottom. Maybe it's just that efficient?

I dunno. I'm gonna hook a switch up one of these days. it sounds so ghetto to hear them kick on for about 20 seconds.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
i have my permacool sensor going directly into the radiator fins and it is hooked to a relay for the fans. works awesome,and will be even better when i finish the aluminum shroud.
i wonder if the other drivers who had problems had a shroud installed or no?