people selling World Of Warcaft accounts

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
Time. That is what you are buying. In World of Warcraft, it doesnt take too much to get to level 60, or level 70 in the new expansion. But it takes hundreds of hours to equip yourself with certain weapons and gear. Some people find that 500 hours of their time is worth 300 dollars.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Perhaps, but I thought the point of the game was playing it, and that involves the time spent getting to that point.

It's not the destination but the journey, etc, etc, you know? On the other hand, people cheat at games, or just drive around shooting people instead of doing the missions, etc, all the time, so I guess I can see it... still seems like a waste.

Either way I don't play World of Warcraft.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
It depends how you like to play. I for example like the journey not the destination. In fact once I max out a toon I usually move on to a new one. However some people really like to PVP. getting a charactor to 70 just so you can go out and kill a few real players instead of killing AI is a pain and I totally can see why someone would avoid all that and pay a bit more to play what they want.

Let me put it this way...Halo3 is about to come out, and you know you want to play it but you dont own a Xbox360. Well you can go buy one for 300 bucks and immediately get into playing it. Would, that be worth it to you? One last example, what if you owned a xb360 and Halo3 comes out, BUT instead of getting to play right away you had to spend a month doing boring training mission, after training mission, after training mission...just to be able to get online and play. Or you can buy a "pretrained online account" for around $300...what you gonna do?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
on a PvP server, I can believe it

YAH I'M LEVEL 20!!! Wait... my quests are in contested territories so I'm open to slaughter from lvl 70's...

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida, United States
yea but when your character gets slain, can't you just load the file again or is it your dead so your dead

If its your dead so your dead, might as well keep playing Diablo 2 lol

Keep in mind that I have never played WoW before but I'm sure I wouldn't pay 300 for characters that are already built up

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
This type of thing has been going on before World of Warcraft came around. But yeah, people will pay a lot to have something very rare because it does take an extremely long time to reach the areas to acquire yourself, and even if you do reach the areas luck still plays a big role in having it drop. Like someone mentioned, reaching level 70 in that game really is just the beginning. I sold a Guild Wars account on ebay years ago with 4 level 20(highest) characters, one with very rare gear, and it went for around $200, but it did actually include the boxed game, not just the info to access the account. I remember a co-worker years ago telling me of his friend who sold online game accounts as a primary source of income. I've seen a few around $800-$1000 years ago on ebay, which is kind of crazy, but if it's your thing and makes you happy, then who cares.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I herd theres a company setup over seas some where thats will level up you account. They just grind away for hours and hours and you get a bill and high levels.

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
iwannadie said:
I herd theres a company setup over seas some where thats will level up you account. They just grind away for hours and hours and you get a bill and high levels.
Yup, I remember seeing some place charging around $300 to get you from level 1 to 70 in like a few days (something that for an average player can take a few months). There's also "chinese farmers" that basically kill the same monsters over and over for gold and then sell it on websites to players. There was some video online or maybe it was in the news awhile back showcasing this. People overseas getting paid next to nothing to sit in a room full of computers farming for gold like 12 hours a day. And it's a big business.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
This has been going on for a long time. Time is money. Some people want to have a life AND play the game. For me, the grind from 1-60 was rough - and the grind from 60-70 is the same as 1-60 time wise. Once you have gone from start to the end, grinding to the end gets really repetitive. Let's say you have worked a cetain class from 1-70, and you try a couple of fun classes out, but don't have the time to level them to 70; you still want to have those classes for end-game content [or "Where it's at", as most WoW players call it]. You can pay someone to level you. Some people have more money than time, and they can justify paying those who have more time and skill than money, to level them. I don't have enough money to pay people to level me, and don't have enough time to level myself quickly at all.

The problem with this is, you learn quite a bit of skill during that grind from 1-70, so most people who buy their account from EBay are an absolute joke from a PvP standpoint; they have not learned the mechanics of that class vs. others, and that is what is difficult. On the WoW main site, you can go to a forum for your exact server, and trash-talk each other. A very common insult for someone who sucks at PvP is to insinuate that they bought their account.

What really sucks is, there was a program that I learned about that gets people banned because a select few abused it. Used properly, it really was helpful. I never got a chance to use it because of the "ban waves" that went on. It is called WoWGlider. It was a bot program that would do all of the AI, and it would grind you automatically; it knew where to go, what to do, would return to town to repair items and empty bags when needed, could even sense when you died so it would run back to resurrect and resume grinding levels. You could set this up and it would do everything for you. The interface was so good that people would use it for "evil" [farming gold, minerals, herbs, fish, cloth, etc.] in such ways as setting it to fish all night and only accept only certain fish or items of value that popped up. People would then sell their bags full of goodies on the auction house for gold, and people were controlling the in-game economy. Blizzard threw it into their terms of service that these third party programs were not to be used, and that they were allowed to temporarily monitor your memory to ensure that you were not using any. Tens of thousands of accounts were banned for this.

There were some people who were praising this program, saying "Thank you - I have 6 Lv 60 characters and an actual social life again from all of the time I do not have to spend grinding!" Unfortunately, I never was able to take advantage of that auto-leveling. It would be sweet to have my characters grinding, one at a time, all week during the 12-14 hours I'm at work, and the 4-7 hours that I'm sleeping.

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
I use to go to were the farmers where and skin their kills. I made an assload of money that way, all they wanted was gold and the XP, It was great.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
drunk medic: I stopped playing after thos bots RUINED the game economy to the point where you couldn't do anything without buying gold, so I stopped playing...

I picked the game back up recently with the expansion and they made making gold a hell of a lot easier in outland, but you have to survive there first (HA!)

I'm guildless and enjoy the game because of the story, I don't like raid dungeons, and supposed "end game" dungeons are murder to the point of being boring...

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
OMFG I GOT MY GOAT!!!

omgtehgoat.jpg