Painting rusty Calipers.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
I have some 3 year old calipers with some Heavy rust on them... I took a wire brush and got it to bare metal, BUT it was pitted. Not sure why the calipers corroded so fast.

If I scrape off the rust with the wire wheel and leave it somewhat pitted, will the rust resurface through the Brake paint? I'm going to use brake caliper spray paint on it.

Would using POR-15 be okay on the brakes? It says its rated for up to 700F.

Thanks.

Last edited:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Depends on how spirited your driving habits are. Calipers can get really freaking hot with frequent hard braking, 700 degree paint wouldn't hold up long on that ;). Try cleaning the caliper with brake cleaner or something similar to get the pits as clean as possible. Use a fine wire brush or tooth brush to clean out the pits. Paint it up with something like 1500 degree or higher, coat it with high temp clear coat, and hope for the best!

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Powdercoat will hold up, but just go to your local vatozone or o'rly?s and pick up a can of Duplicolor Caliper Paint. It's a brush on Enamel kit that goes on pretty thick. It should fill in all the small pits.

In the future, don't let raw cast iron sit around!

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
That's the stuff I was referring to, Kai. I was mistaken, it is epoxy and not enamel. Very tough, and lasts a long time.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I used the G2 stuff on my calipers when I did this back in 2001/2002.

Hit your calipers with a nice wire wheel (I used the dremmel with the wire wheel) and get them nice and clean first.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I used a kit specifically for calipers too, paint on. This was for my 2G I used to have though, pretty good shit. I had no problems with it. Still have the lefr overs, I could probably get the front's and one back caliper done with what's left...

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
No matter how hard I hit that dremel or wire brush to it with my drill there will always be rust on it... I'm just curious as to how long that paint is going to stick onto my pitted areas that i've wire brushed off...

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Put some light coats on and bake it for a little bit (possible do before also to expand out the pores). It should be fine as long as you use a high temp paint. Should be good for a couple years at least as long as nothing chips the paint...